What's a good cartridge for playing 78s on stereo?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: What's a good cartridge for playing 78s on stereo?

Post by fran604g »

Wolfe wrote:^ Oh. :)

I recently placed an order for an Audio-Technica AT-MONO3/SP 78 RPM cart. It's a moving coil, too. Got a 2.5. mil tip. I didn't really need it but I've had an unremitting curiosity about how a moving coil sounds with 78's. I'm a big fan of MC when it comes to LP playback. Waiting impatiently for the AT's arrival from Japan...
Please be sure to update us with your thoughts. I've been humming and hawing over upgrading my main system to MC with a SUT. I think it'd be fun to try the combo out on my mono system sometime, too.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ Sure, I could reply back about the Audio-Technica AT-MONO3/SP 78 cart. It's advertised as a high output MC, but at 1.2 mV it's not that high output, so I'm unsure of whether I'll have to run it through the MM or MC section of my preamp.

They also make a version of the cart for mono LP's.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

The DL 102 has amazing detail for mono LPs ...and I let others use mine. (GF :) ) almost as good as a mono Shelter and not a grand! ,I have not heard the AT yet

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

So how many knew that SUT is for Step Up Transformer I like Altec 4722 ??

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ (Raises hand.)

I just use this : https://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audio-XP ... B00PMCIYK4

Can easily switch between high or low output carts. Sounds suprisingly good for it's relatively modest price. I consider it a 'punch well above it's weight' product.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Interesting so cool that there are good modern TT available, I like both tube and SS preamps but mostly tube power amps

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

^ The Music Hall 1.5 that the thread starter wants looks like a could be a capable little TT. 3 speeds. I hadn't seen it before. Music Hall was a brand that got in just as the 'vinyl revival' was beginning to get some steam, at the dawn of the 21st century, and there was not nearly as much on the market that you could buy new at the time, especially in the lower price reaches.

Around that time I had a Music Hall 2.1 (2 speed) TT that was alright, except I had to reposition the (belt drive) motor in it's mount because the TT as it came from the factory ran a bit off speed. It was a bit of a trick to reposition the motor so as not to cause the motor to transmit added noise through the MDF plinth. I kept the TT a few years and then wanted to move on...

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

fran604g wrote:
Wolfe wrote:^ Oh. :)

I recently placed an order for an Audio-Technica AT-MONO3/SP 78 RPM cart. It's a moving coil, too. Got a 2.5. mil tip. I didn't really need it but I've had an unremitting curiosity about how a moving coil sounds with 78's. I'm a big fan of MC when it comes to LP playback. Waiting impatiently for the AT's arrival from Japan...
Please be sure to update us with your thoughts. I've been humming and hawing over upgrading my main system to MC with a SUT. I think it'd be fun to try the combo out on my mono system sometime, too.

Best,
Fran
The MC 78 cart arrived, I've been playing with it some. Hasn't had any break in time yet, but so far I like it. I don't notice any real special qualities with acoustical 78's. With later electricals it has a full bodied sound, very good bass response and very smooth tonal balance. This cart may have an overall level of refinement that puts it a little ahead of my other MM 78 carts (Stanton, Nagaoka, Shure.) It's a true mono cart however, so one does not have the ability to switch groove walls when playing worn records. It takes a decent amount of tracking weight, as it should, being an MC. I run it at around 4 grams. It's a high output MC, so I use it the same as an MM cart, and just nudge the volume up a little. There's next to no background noise or hiss. With break in it may improve some more.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Where did you buy it?,good to get feedback about this one :)

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Amazon.

$ 135.00 including ship. Has to ship from Japan, took nearly a month for me.

LP Gear here in the U.S. has it, but it's about 50 dollars more expensive.