Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Re: Poly portable

Post by Marty Bufalini »

52089 wrote:
A Ford 1 wrote:Hi,
Thanks to all the input.
I took the reproducer for lack of a better term off yesterday. I made a solid cone diaphragm and am in the process of cleaning off the old red rubber that was hard as nails. I intend to use segments of a rubber band to make new damping mounts.

Allen
I replaced the red rubber pivot dampers with a short piece of the same silicone tubing I use for gaskets on Exhibition reproducers. I cut a piece maybe ¼" long, then cut that in half lengthwise (twice) and used each U-shape piece under each support point. Worked really well.
I have a Brunswick Parisian, basically the same as the Polyphone, and I'm curious about this "red rubber" of which you speak.

Where does it go? Can you post pictures please?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Originally, the red rubber went on the pivot points between the needle bar and the weight/reproducer "block". Over the years, that rubber has usually disintegrated and may not even be present. The sound will be improved tremendously by putting a rubber or silicone piece on the pivot point so that there is no direct metal-on-metal contact. It's a lot easier to do this if you unscrew the "tonearm" first.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

[quote="52089"]Originally, the red rubber went on the pivot points between the needle bar and the weight/reproducer "block". Over the years, that rubber has usually disintegrated and may not even be present. The sound will be improved tremendously by putting a rubber or silicone piece on the pivot point so that there is no direct metal-on-metal contact. It's a lot easier to do this if you unscrew the "tonearm" first.[/quote

Thanks, 52089, but can you or anyone else post pics of what you describe? That would be a great help.

Thanks

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Anybody???

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Scroll down this post a bit and you'll see some photos of the red rubber bits and where they originally went.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... r&start=10

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

52089: Thanks. I see now. I'll have to check mine now.