Create your own Crank? Columbia Grafonola C-2

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ashtonhy
Victor Jr

Create your own Crank? Columbia Grafonola C-2

Post by ashtonhy »

I recently acquired a Columbia Grafonola (C-2, I believe). I am an typewriter collector and somehow this has become the next avenue of my collecting, I think. Anyhow, I have this machine and it is missing the crank. I do not want to spend a huge amount on a replacement crank, and it is hard to tell if the cranks on eBay would work.

I need a female crank. Anyhow, this got me thinking ... could I get a ½" steel rod and drill and tap the correct thread?

Has anyone here done this? What are the chances I could find the right sized tap? Or, do I just suck it up and allow 50% of the machine cost to be an annoying crank. :-)

Thanks for your thoughts.
Attachments
IMG_20180511_101018648.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Create your own Crank? Columbia Grafonola C-2

Post by Jerry B. »

You could certainly make your own crank with a fair amount of effort. But I don't think an original would be a great deal on money. I have a box of cranks and if I had the correct crank you could have it for the cost of postage. If you are only after a functioning crank and enjoy the challenge go for it.

If you want an original crank, how far is it from the end of the shaft to the outside of the cabinet? Do you have a nut that threads to the shaft? I'd think your efforts are better spent finding the correct crank. My opinion...

Jerry Blais

ashtonhy
Victor Jr

Post by ashtonhy »

Hi Jerry. The very tip of the threaded portion, as seen in the photo above, to the outside (including the brass-ish piece on the outside of the case is a little over 3 inches. Close to 3 ⅛ inch. If you took away the brass-ish piece it'd be very close to 3 inches. This is from the very tip of the threaded portion, connected to the shaft. There is no nut connected to the shaft, I presume when you mention shaft you are talking about the threaded crank-shaft. There is only what is seen in the above photo.

If you happened to have one laying in a box, that'd be extremely helpful. If not, I appreciate your willingness to be helpful.

I am looking forward to entering your world, the phonograph world.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I went through my spare cranks and have over a dozen female cranks. I need to know the bolt that fits a Columbia female crank. Jerry Blais

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Your machine is not a C-2. A C-2 does not use a female crank, but a male one. The C-2 was made from 1918-21 or so. Looking at the motor and board, I'm thinking it is a Model 35 from about 1914-15. If you can show a picture of the whole machine, that would be helpful. The thread size is either 3/16 or ¼.
Harvey Kravitz

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I have about a dozen female cranks. I you have a nut that fits your winding shaft and could relay that information to me, I could try a variety of bolts to find a match. Jerry Blais