Edison reporoducer question..

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Edison reporoducer question..

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

You folks will know: I was surfing the net the other night and ran across a picture of a Model N Edison reproducer on ebay that had a tiny coiled spring running from the sylus bar up to the diaphragm. The spring surrounded the link. I felt like Aaron Slick from Punkin' Crick because I had never heard of such a thing but it struck me a good idea to attenuate the buzz inherent in these types. Did they ALL have this? Have I been dreaming all these years? I always pride myself that I know my Edison stuff but this was a new one on me. :oops:

Jim (from Punkin' Crick)

gregbogantz
Victor II

Re: Edison reporoducer question..

Post by gregbogantz »

Edison tried the spring trick on several reproducers along the way - you'll see springs on some model K and L, among others. The idea, presumably, was to keep the link taught to reduce rattling and buzzing. But the spring itself can easily cause buzzing and "ringing" if not fitted exactly right, so the fix was probably worse than the original problem. Later Edison reproducer designs omitted the spring once again.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: Edison reporoducer question..

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Thanks Greg. Now my busy little fingers want to experiment with a couple of my reproducers. I've been mucking in this vein, because a lot ...or most...of the buzz inherent in these reproducers comes from play in the stylus mounting and the metal link to the diaphragm.