Credenza Brake

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Credenza Brake

Post by travisgreyfox »

I know I've seen this topic many times before, but a quick search didn't bring it up. My auto brake does not trip at the end of a record consistently (it only works sometimes). Also when the break does trip the platter keeps on spinning (like the brake pad is not making contact). Is my leather brake pad too short?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
credenzabrake.jpg

Victor VI

Re: Credenza Brake

Post by 52089 »

Automatic brakes only work on record that have an eccentric final groove. When the groove goes away from the spindle, it trips the brake.

Yes, the pad is probably too short. You may be able to pull the pad out a tiny amount with pliers. There are tips on the board for replacing the pad.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Thanks. About 99% of the records played do not trip the brake. Even the ones with the final groove.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I'm pretty sure you're missing a spring. It would go from the vertical tab on the gold lever, to the tab on the brake arm, just behind the leather pad.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Get some 3/16" leather treadle sewing machine belting material on eBay ($5-) and you will have enough leather brakes for years. Once you get the hang of it (bending the prongs sideways is always a pain but you get used to it. Insert a new bit of leather, rebend) you'll want to do all of your machines. I make the brake leather fairly long, say ¼" from making contact with the turntable when in playing position. It really does help, sounds better, stops much more reliably.

As for the auto brake, I checked mine but it's a different style, so I doubt this will help much. In my humble opinion, these Victor brakes are a bad design, what with the common "clicking" complaint and how it sometimes trips on out of round records. Happy tweaking!
Attachments
IMG_0328.JPG

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Thanks for that info. I have always just bought "victrola brake pads" on ebay that were being sold for that purpose. I did not know you could simply buy larger amounts of sewing machine belt for cheaper, great!

Does anyone have a pic of the this style of credenza brake assembly?

jmad7474
Victor I
Personal Text: "Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"

Post by jmad7474 »

Jwb88 wrote:Get some 3/16" leather treadle sewing machine belting material on eBay ($5-) and you will have enough leather brakes for years. Once you get the hang of it (bending the prongs sideways is always a pain but you get used to it. Insert a new bit of leather, rebend) you'll want to do all of your machines. I make the brake leather fairly long, say ¼" from making contact with the turntable when in playing position. It really does help, sounds better, stops much more reliably.

As for the auto brake, I checked mine but it's a different style, so I doubt this will help much. In my humble opinion, these Victor brakes are a bad design, what with the common "clicking" complaint and how it sometimes trips on out of round records. Happy tweaking!
Your opinion is mirrored by mine, I love Ortho units but do not care for the audible clicks during play, and their brakes are a hassle to repair! Interestingly, JVC and HMV both used auto start-stop combo brakes on their cheapie machines that would trip at the end of any record with a lead-out groove (didn't even have to be eccentric cut) and it was totally silent during play. I wonder why Victor never put those (superior) brakes on their machines?

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

Jwb88 wrote:Get some 3/16" leather treadle sewing machine belting material on eBay ($5-) and you will have enough leather brakes for years. Once you get the hang of it (bending the prongs sideways is always a pain but you get used to it. Insert a new bit of leather, rebend) you'll want to do all of your machines. I make the brake leather fairly long, say ¼" from making contact with the turntable when in playing position. It really does help, sounds better, stops much more reliably.

I am probably in the minority but I love that familiar Victor click..just as the surface noise is sort of a "breathing sound" part of the experience!

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

victor 15-1 wrote:

I am probably in the minority but I love that familiar Victor click..just as the surface noise is sort of a "breathing sound" part of the experience!
You can also grease the teeth which will greatly reduce the clicking noise

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Here's a pic of the brake on our Cred. It appears to be less complex and does not have the ratchet that yours has. Cheers, Russie
Attachments
IMG_3471.JPG