New Member looking for help in VA, NC, MD, or WV

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cwamp19
Victor Jr

New Member looking for help in VA, NC, MD, or WV

Post by cwamp19 »

Hi,
I recently became the owner of VV-XI (a) following the death of my mother. It has been passed down through my family. From what I can tell, it was manufactured in 1918 but I don't know a whole lot else about Viictrolas...period. Seems to be in pretty good physical condition. The wood is solid and well preserved. It still plays. All original parts to my knowledge, However, the sound is very muffled. It's hard to make out the words of the music, I guess the speakers need to be replaced? Also, the gears feel like they starting to strip when your crank the handle. Guessing they may need to be replaced too? I

I live in the Richmond, VA area. Is there anyone that the board can recommend in the VA, NC, MD, or WV area that may be able to look at my machine and make any refurbishments or restorations?

I have attached a couple pictures. I appreciate anything else that you all can tell me about this particular model. Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Attachments
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: New Member looking for help in VA, NC, MD, or WV

Post by phonogal »

Welcome. When you played the record, did you use a new needle? The needles are to be used for just one side of a record. Did you open the top 2 doors? That is where the horn is located and they need to be open while you are playing a record. If you are using a new needle and the doors are open and it still sounds muffled, your reproducer probably needs rebuilding. There are no speakers to be replaced, there is a horn I can't help with directing you to a repair person in your area but I'm sure someone else on the forum can.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Hi:

Muffled sound can be due to a number of causes: obstruction in the tone arm or soundbox (you would be surprised to know what things people have found inside them); hardened gaskets; bad diaphragm; poor adjustment of the needle bar...

As for the "stripped gears" feeling: can you describe it in more detail? Does the crank "kick back" on you? Do you wind it to a certain point, then feel a "slip", and loss of tension?

As for resources, you might try the "Links" section: there are a number of restorers listed there. If you can't find one close to you, other members will be glad to make suggestions.

I hope this reply will be of some help.

Bill

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi Chris- PM sent. I'm in Northern VA.

Brad Abell