Is Switching Cases Without Disclosure Unethical?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Is Switching Cases Without Disclosure Unethical?

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:
I agree. One thing though, regarding a model B cabinet with model D mechanism: I once had a Standard Model D (serial No.676769) and it was untouched - - and in a low molding cabinet (like a model B). Has anyone else encountered an un-messed-with model D in the earlier-style cabinet? I maintain they exist.

George P.

Another argument for leaving things as you find them. Some pretty odd things came out of the factories and you just don't know. I've got a B model home works, 2-4 minute gearing, large carriage and cygnet that sets in a D/E case. The old collector I got it from swears he got it that way probably 50 years ago now. It does not look like it's fiddled with. Did the original owner re-case it at some point, perhaps when he upgraded the gearing and the carriage or was it a marriage made by a last generation collector? I probably will never know but I've just left it alone.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

One thing though, regarding a model B cabinet with model D mechanism: I once had a Standard Model D (serial No.676769) and it was untouched - - and in a low molding cabinet (like a model B). Has anyone else encountered an un-messed-with model D in the earlier-style cabinet? I maintain they exist.
George, I've seen seven possibilities so far (624182 to 653772). The earliest two had the Model B style striping with "tufts of grass" corners. I haven't seen a Tall case D in the 676,000 range, but I have seen three Tall Model C around there: (678628 - 689106). Only the last one is an ICS machine. All of those three had models expressed by a letter suffix (ie: 689106C).

Obviously, since I collect data on Standards, I feel that if one changes out a major part, even if it seems to match, one should document and disclose it. Otherwise it can really mess up documenting the small details. Sometimes the minor details only pop out after you have seen a lot of them.

I know the Standard is a low rent machine and not all that exciting, but I feel it too can be a window on the past. Fortunately, there are lots of them out there, and I hope to get a clearer picture of its production by spotting trends. Thanks for all of your comments, and please keep them coming if you have more!

Martin

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Martin,

Okay - - I was going to send you information on the Standards I have here, but it was one of those "someday I'll get around to it" things. I'll send you a PM today with the info.

As a side comment, there's often an assumption on the part of collectors that certain production details ceased abruptly with one model (such as pinstriping on Model B Gems vs. double-stripe decals on Model C Gems) and new designs beginning with the first of the succeeding model (such as high base molding appearing as soon as the Model D Standards were introduced). I had a Model C Gem with earlier-style single pinstripes/tufts of grass (and I have the photos to prove it! ;) ), as well as that Model D Standard with low base molding. As you alluded, such clear distinctions are not always present in the large-scale production at the Edison Phonograph Works a century ago, and such anomalies should NOT be "fixed" as a knee-jerk reaction. Hopefully, work such as yours will encourage collectors to investigate before eradicating these interesting variations.

I've never seen a Model D Standard with single pinstripes and tufts of grass. Interesting - - and obviously original! :D

George P.