Poly portable dates manufactured and need a speed controle

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
A Ford 1
Victor II

Poly portable dates manufactured and need a speed controle

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi All,
Does anyone know the dates of the start and end of manufacture for the Poly portable and or its look alights?
Mine is missing the knurled knob #8 full dog set screw and I would like to get a replacement.
Thank you all most kindly,
Allen

A Ford 1
Victor II

Re: Poly portable dates manufactured and need a speed contro

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi All,
I understand that there was a larger oscillator for home use (more volume but may be not portable), does anyone know the diameter of this larger oscillator?
Thank you all kindly,
Allen

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Allen, I believe that the oscillator for "home use" was the same size, but permanently formed into a cone as opposed to being folded for storage in the case... It was called the Polly Ultra. If I am wrong, maybe someone can shed some light on this...

Which brings up a question: do you want me to make your oscillator to be folded, or would you rather have it formed into a cone for display/home use? Please PM me with your answer, since it can go either way at this time... I'll wait for you to respond...

Also, please post a pic of the knurled part you are looking for, or at least describe where it would be located on the machine...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi All,
With the tone arm to the back the crank to the right the on off lever to the left the speed control is near the on off lever.
I have not seen a speed control yet but my friend George Epple described the one on his machine. I will go into Baltimore to see it in the near future. I will also ask George if he will take a picture and post it.
Allen

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

A Ford 1 wrote:Hi All,
With the tone arm to the back the crank to the right the on off lever to the left the speed control is near the on off lever.
I have not seen a speed control yet but my friend George Epple described the one on his machine. I will go into Baltimore to see it in the near future. I will also ask George if he will take a picture and post it.
Allen
Allen,
If you do a forum search under the correct name "Polly", you will find a wealth of information pertaining to them.
The "ultra" horn for home use is black and silver and was folded like the standard green horn in order to store in the lid. Both are the same diameter.

I would contact George V for the speed control screw as it was used on both the Polly and Brunswick models. You may even find a screw at your local hardware store that will fill the purpose in the meantime.
Hope this helps.... ;).
1920's Polly Phonograph (11).JPG
Polly Speed Control Screw.jpg