Phonograph found in Wrong Way Corrigan's Garage

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: I've got Wrong Way Corrigan's phonograph!

Post by Jerry B. »

If you are interested in the provenance of the machine I'd suggest you get something in writing from the family or, better yet, a photo with Wrong Way with the phono. If you are inclined to mention a famous previous owner you need something. Just a suggestion...

Jerry Blais

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Jerry B. wrote:If you are interested in the provenance of the machine I'd suggest you get something in writing from the family or, better yet, a photo with Wrong Way with the phono. If you are inclined to mention a famous previous owner you need something. Just a suggestion...

Jerry Blais

Problem with picking up items at this late date is you can't tell if an item was his or if someone just picked it up later & tossed it in the garage

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

The phonograph is but a side note in the story of this estate. It came out of Wrong Way Corrigan's garage. That's all I know, and I could attest/sign a statement to that fact if anyone were interested. However, the purpose of this post was merely to share an interesting find. I do not plan to sell the phonograph or in any way profit from it. I do plan to restore it in some way, and preserve whatever history that I know of it. As like-minded history buffs, I am sure that we can all appreciate that.

Now, that being said, the real historical significance of this estate lies in the photographs of Corrigan that were obtained from such. I am employed with a local library system, and I will see to it that each and every one of these photos is digitized for all to see. I would be glad to share a few of these here in the coming days if there is in interest, although I realize that this may be a bit off-topic.

Best,
Mike

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

MikeB wrote: Now, that being said, the real historical significance of this estate lies in the photographs of Corrigan that were obtained from such. I am employed with a local library system, and I will see to it that each and every one of these photos is digitized for all to see. I would be glad to share a few of these here in the coming days if there is in interest, although I realize that this may be a bit off-topic.

Best,
Mike
Off-topic, that's what the new Parlor section of the forum was made for. Please share.

Andreas

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Phonograph found in Wrong Way Corrigan's Garage

Post by Curt A »

Since he died in 1995, and I assume the family still owned the property, chances are that you have his phonograph since it is definitely from the correct time frame... I doubt that anyone else put it in the garage, so in my estimation the provenance is correct. If the house changed hands in 1995, then there would be some doubt... This particular phonograph has very little monetary value, only possible historical value. If you were selling it to the Pawn Stars for big bucks, then you would need a Certificate of Authenticity to prove it. As you stated, you could write your own document stating where and when you purchased it, which should suffice to add verification of it's origin... As far as a photo showing him using the same type phonograph, there would be no actual proof anyway, unless it was a rare one of a kind machine...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Got this....
Attachments
Phonograph COA.jpeg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Good enough...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife