How should I cut another hole in m winding spring?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

How should I cut another hole in m winding spring?

Post by Mormon S »

I have a spring from an amberola that broke near the middle. I cut the middle out and I want to cut another hole. I tried with a drill, but I can't get it to go through, and it's difficult to get a good angle. Would it be easier to do with a dremel or should go to a metal worker? Are there any tips on how to cut a hole in the spring? Keep in mind it's the one on the inside. Thanks in advanced

-Martin

outune
Victor IV

Re: How should I cut another hole in m winding spring?

Post by outune »

In order to drill a hole in a piece of spring steel, it needs to be heated with a torch to remove the temper. But-- If you are trying to repair a spring by riveting pieces together, I strongly advise against it. The potential for long-term success is low, while the potential to do damage to the spring barrel, gears or to yourself is high. A new spring from Ron Sitko is not very expensive. If you'd rather not install it yourself, you can send him the barrel and he will install the new spring for you.

Brad Abell

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Brad is right... splicing a spring is not a good idea. The spring is tempered steel and may shatter if spliced. If you were trying to make a new hole to repair an inch or two close to the end, that might work... To drill a hole in a spring, you have to heat it red hot and let it gradually cool to remove the temper. To re-temper it, you have to heat it red hot and immediately plunge it into a container of oil or water to cool it...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Brad and Curt offer good advice. It is possible to successfully re-hole the end of a spring. I've fixed many springs by heating them to a red glow and then natural cooling de-anneals them enough to punch a hole. Shown here is a punch tool that makes it easy to do that. It is available a Harbor Freight and also Ebay (around $20).
Attachments
IMG_3475.JPG

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I also purchase new springs, and don't repair old ones. I did repair them when I was starting out, but then found Ron Sitko, APSCO, Wyatt's Musical Americana,The Smiths, so never repaired a spring again. I usually replace all of the set.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

edisonphonoworks wrote:I also purchase new springs, and don't repair old ones. I did repair them when I was starting out, but then found Ron Sitko, APSCO, Wyatt's Musical Americana,The Smiths, so never repaired a spring again. I usually replace all of the set.
Thank you guys for the responses. I'll get a new spring. How much would does Ron charge for a spring? I can't find much information, but I'll call next weekend if I can.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I recently purchased one, and he charged $27.50 for a VTM spring. I imagine all of the others would be similar in price.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

I thoroughly recommend Ron Sitko as I have purchased parts from him on several occasions including one time when I needed a main - spring of unusual dimensions . At the time Ron had a length of stock spring of correct size and he kindly made one up for me to required length and spec , including the necessary end fittings. Dulcetto

Dedrums
Victor O
Personal Text: phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one

Post by Dedrums »

I just drilled a hole no problem take a center punch put the spring on a piece of wood and slame it. Drill bit went through no problem. It was a spring for a Pathé actuelle . I used 2 bits to make the pair shape and filed the center. I got the idea from the complete talking machine book by Mr Eric Reiss