Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Featured Phonograph № 138 - Victrola VV-120 American Walnut

Post by Django »

Make: Victor Talking Machine Co.
Model: VV-120
Serial No. 3516
Year(s) Made: 1921-1922, (this machine was produced in 1921)
Original Cost: $225.00
Case/Cabinet Size: 49" tall, 23" wide by 24.75" deep
Turntable/Mandrel: 12" turntable
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Victrola No.2
Motor: spring, (4)
Horn Dimensions: 16.5" x 9.5"
Reproduction Parts: None
Current Value: subjective and not for sale
Interesting Facts: This particular machine is in nicely figured American Walnut. Apart from the model number, the VV-120 is identical to a late VV-XVI.
VV-XVI spring motor production was 197,020. VV-120 spring motor production was only 8,424. The machine is all original and played often.

The baseboard heater is forced hot water and is 15" from the machine. A heat deflector will be in place before winter. The albums are from an earlier VV-XVI and in extremely nice condition with one missing from the set.
Attachments
120-2.jpg
120-9.jpg
120-3.JPG
120-5.jpg
120-7.jpg
120-1.JPG
120-4.jpg
120-6.jpg
120-8.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Featured Phonograph № 138 - Victrola VV-120 American Wal

Post by alang »

That is a stunningly beautiful machine! Thanks for presenting it as a featured phonograph. Could I ask you to share a few pictures of the motor as well, since I think that was different from earlier VV-XVI machines? The albums with the gold/brass rings are probably 8 years older than the machine, as you stated already. What style album would have been in a VV-120 originally? The same style, just with cloth rings, or a completely different style?

Thanks again
Andreas

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Boy, that's pretty wood - thanks for posting!

I know a collector (and good friend) who would love that set of albums for his 1914 Victrola XVI...

George P.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

alang wrote:That is a stunningly beautiful machine! Thanks for presenting it as a featured phonograph. Could I ask you to share a few pictures of the motor as well, since I think that was different from earlier VV-XVI machines? The albums with the gold/brass rings are probably 8 years older than the machine, as you stated already. What style album would have been in a VV-120 originally? The same style, just with cloth rings, or a completely different style?

Thanks again
Andreas
I added some motor pictures. The machine had a couple original albums, (probably original to the machine. The machine is unmolested, less the motor cleaning and reproducer rebuild). The albums were the same as the late Victrola VV-XVI.
Attachments
IMG_1380.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG
Last edited by Django on Sat May 19, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

phonogfp wrote:Boy, that's pretty wood - thanks for posting!

I know a collector (and good friend) who would love that set of albums for his 1914 Victrola XVI...

George P.
I added a couple more pictures of the wood, (thank you George. I deserve no credit for the pretty wood, but I am proud to be the caretaker). The VV-120 was a bit less ornate than the early VV-XVI, but I like the proportions, especially the horn opening and the curves of the columns near the horn doors.

Even though the albums are incorrect, they are at lease from a Victrola XVI. Unfortunately, the earlier albums were nicer than the than the later albums. I may give them up at some time if I find a nice set of the later albums for a VV-120 or late VV-XVI.
Attachments
IMG_1339.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

That is a beautiful phonograph. Thank you for sharing that unusual( the wood) but extremely nice phonograph. It almost looks like it came out of the factory. Tom

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

tomb wrote: It almost looks like it came out of the factory.
It did! :)

George P.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

It's machines like this one that keep me coming back to this forum every day. Stunning example in American Walnut. I really wish more collectors would add their most important and prized phonographs to the Featured Phonograph section of the forum. Thanks to you for posting such a fine example.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

This is indeed one beautiful machine. :o
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek