Couldn't help myself..standard E project! (PICS ADDED)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Couldn't help myself..standard E project! (PICS ADDED)

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Aaaaand I'm back.

The Edison fired up and ran! I got a bunch of Ron Sitko parts and rebuilt the governor and changed out the broken mainspring. Apparently Joe Shadetree had put the spring in backwards. So, not knowing that, I of course installed the new one backwards--it didin't wind so I redid it this evening after a refreshing day hard at work selling automobile parts. Cranked right up and when I pulled the lever the gears all started spinning properly.

Until there was a loud snort and the spring unwound. Looks like No 2 gear in the drive cluster is worn-out, right where the mainspring is driving it. Better call Ron Sitko again.

Also, sadly, the reproducer is not correct. I couldn't find a proper domed top for it and have settled for a modern stepped top as seen on a Model O. Not as graceful as the original, but correct for N Reproducers in the early serial numbers I think. I had to demolish the old top to get the diaphragm, retainer, and metal gasket out, but the "guts" went into the new one with some fresh gaskets.

Parts added so far:

Decals (Gregg Cline, of course!)
Mainspring
Governor springs & hardware
Threaded Crank (Ron Sitko's excellent parts.)
Reproducer top (Victrola Repair Service. Good stuff.)
Gaskets (Golden State Phonograph & Victrola Repair Service. All great quality!)
Diaphragm linkage. (Vic Repair Service.)

Parts I will need:

Edison two-piece horn crane
Hinge block for Model N reproducer (I broke the old one transplanting it.)
Rubber bumpers
Drive gear for cluster
Gear cover
Knurled hold down nut for gear cover
Feed screw cover
Horn connector
Lid latch escutcheon
Tiny Screws, very many

Parts I've found

Original blue flowered Standard Horn! YES!

Parts I'd Like to Add:

A Tiz-It Volume Control. (To keep the peace.)

So tomorrow it's drive down to pick up the horn, which ought to be a good phono trip! I'm keeping my eyes peeled for lots of records and cylinders, which would be nice. Always like to have plenty to listen to.

This restoration is fun!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Finally the Standard is back together, sporting lots of fresh paint and replica parts, a really nice horn from Mr Patella's famous collection (he's a great guy) and a motor that runs smooth as glass.

However, it doesn't play, which really is a bummer. I know the needle is junk. But all I can get is "blat, squawk, blat," slow down, stop. Sounds more like a belching contest than a phonograph.

The bearing is replaced, the feedscrew looks nice, the half nut is intact, the belt is nice and tight--why would it not run properly? The motor runs great with the belt unhooked, then wants to stall out the minute I hook up the drive belt.

I'm using Wyatt's "best belts in the world" so it's not like I am using duct tape.

While I am waiting on a new stylus, what can I do to get it spinning properly?

Yes, I will add some pictures, it really is a cool-looking machine even unfinished.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Any ideas what to do about that motor?

Here are some pics. I kind of like the look!
Attachments
Iron with a healthy portion of nickel...like the center of the earth.
Iron with a healthy portion of nickel...like the center of the earth.
Presents well enough! I do need to mix some paint and touch up that blue that's missing, but it needs to play records first.
Presents well enough! I do need to mix some paint and touch up that blue that's missing, but it needs to play records first.
This is how I am displaying it now. It should be put on a better stand when it is working again, but it looks really cool up here.
This is how I am displaying it now. It should be put on a better stand when it is working again, but it looks really cool up here.

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Finally the Standard is back together, sporting lots of fresh paint and replica parts, a really nice horn from Mr Patella's famous collection (he's a great guy) and a motor that runs smooth as glass.

However, it doesn't play, which really is a bummer. I know the needle is junk. But all I can get is "blat, squawk, blat," slow down, stop. Sounds more like a belching contest than a phonograph.

The bearing is replaced, the feedscrew looks nice, the half nut is intact, the belt is nice and tight--why would it not run properly? The motor runs great with the belt unhooked, then wants to stall out the minute I hook up the drive belt.

I'm using Wyatt's "best belts in the world" so it's not like I am using duct tape.

While I am waiting on a new stylus, what can I do to get it spinning properly?

Yes, I will add some pictures, it really is a cool-looking machine even unfinished.
Check all your end play on all shafts. Mandrel shaft/ Feedscrew/ Governor. All shafts should move very slightly when you move them from side to side. There is a thin copper washer on the mandrel shaft between the belt pulley and bearing which may be missing.
You have to reduce drag from the mandrel shaft and bearing as much as possible. The shaft have to be super polished. I also polish the inside of the bearing but can be difficult. Polish with 1500 wet with oil. Wash parts after polishing. Lubricate with a very fine viscosity oil.
Without the belt attached give the mandrel a snap spin with your hand. The mandrel should spin freely for quite a few seconds before coming to a stop.
You mention the belt is tight. Belt should not be tight but made to a length that the tensioner rides back and forth taking up any slack to prevent any slipping.
Hope this post helps.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Herman--thanks a ton! Yes, I have the washer, but everything is locked up a little too tight. Also, I need to polish the mandrel shaft better--I used too coarse an abrasive, just to fit it into the bearing. It'll buff out.

I think my belt tightness is OK and the half-nut could probably stand a tiny adjustment, but we should be in business soon.

Oh, and if buying replica reproducers from Victrola Repair Service--have THEM install the hinge block! The reproducers aren't made to Edison's QC standards, obviously, and the hinge blocks are good for little more than breaking off in the hole. Mine is running on Super Glue right now; I ought to build another reproducer with some custom upgrades as a backup.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Pretty machine. Let us know when she is purring again.