Couldn't help myself..standard E project! (PICS ADDED)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Couldn't help myself..standard E project! (PICS ADDED)

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

So last Friday, full of hopes to install my new gears in my Victor III and finally finish it up, I was antiquing again...not for phonographs, for fountain pens. I LOOVE fountain pens. No joy--but I bent down to inspect a 1940s Zenith shortwave set, stood up, and nearly tripped on an Edison cylinder phonograph.

Serendipity?

I bent back down (nice being young and dumb) and saw it was an E Type, with a swollen Model N reproducer--rough, rusty, seized up and junky all over. A total refinish job. The horn and 90% of the crane are gone...it's a do-it-yourself job.

So now I've got a 1911 Standard of the elusive, expensive to repair, Model E variety. Well, there goes my resolve. I'm out of room now and should go ahead and fix 'er up--pictures to follow this evening for the Forum's benefit!

EDIT. Finally I got off my duff and made the pictures ;)
Last edited by VanEpsFan1914 on Mon May 21, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Couldn't help myself..standard E project!

Post by Lucius1958 »

The Talking Machine Gods are always watching, but they're sly: they wait until you're looking for something else, and then place some temptation for you to stumble upon... :twisted:

Bill

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Congrats on your Standard Model E. They are a scarce machine. They are set up for 4 min. only. The Model N is a very loud and clear reproducer. This is a machine worth restoring. Now, you will have to hunt for the elusive blue flowered horn. This horn is like the standard black horn, but painted indigo, translucent blue. It also has hand painted flowers, chrysanthemums, I believe. Besides the maroon Gem/Fireside horn, I believe this the only only other horn painted besides black. These machines came out in 1911,.
Harvey Kravitz

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Here are some pictures of the new arrival. I've got my work cut out for me but I think it'll be fabulous!

Mr Kravitz--thanks much for your historical notes on the Standard E. I had vaguely remembered something special about them, setting them apart from the regular Model A and B machines, from the "Spotter's Guide to the Edison Standard Phonograph" on the APS web site.

That blue flowered horn is reason enough to buy one of these, and now I can collect four-minute wax Amberol as well as Indestructible, Blue Amberol, Edisonia (whose work I cannot recommend highly enough) and Vulcan.

She's a keeper!
Attachments
Looks like a weathered wooden birdhouse more than a talking machine.
Looks like a weathered wooden birdhouse more than a talking machine.
Wonder if this reproducer will ever work again?
Wonder if this reproducer will ever work again?
Home of stripped gears and a broken mainspring.
Home of stripped gears and a broken mainspring.
That fine original rust? Nope.
That fine original rust? Nope.
Gear cover and who knows what else is missing.
Gear cover and who knows what else is missing.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Re: Couldn't help myself..standard E project! (PICS ADDED)

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Update #1.

Lately I've knocked the old reproducer out of the carriage, and stripped the asphaltum varnish off the rusty old bedplate. It's not so awful as it could be, condition wise, but I found the original configuration of my machine was an old Model D Combination. Looks like Edison was using up his old stocks.

There's a question I am wondering about--I am planning to build the ultimate Standard Model E. It appears that my old Model N reproducer (due for a brand new top!) is capable of running the neoprene gaskets of the Diamond Amberola C Reproducer.

Off to eBay I went, and found some TrueTone diaphragms, which got me wondering...will the TrueTone work in the old-model Reproducer?

I'm planning to take the old wreck and build a nearly new machine--"Remanufactured," if you will. Thankfully there are new parts!

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

When do we get to see the horn? I know, right? You just get pictures up and some old guy is already asking for more. It looks like a nice buy and a tough project but well worth it. As far as the reproducer, a new top may not be necessary if you get lucky. Try taking it apart before you order and see how it goes. You could be surprised. If you need advice, PM me and ask me about my restoration of a model S. I wish I had fully documented that job! You can use whatever type gaskets you wish as all Edison large diaphragm reproducers use the same size gasket: L,M,N,O,R,S & Diamond A,B and C inclusive. As far as the Truetone diaphragm, I have no experience with it, so I will not comment. I have several excellent sounding diamond cylinder reproducers, so I have never tried the Trutones. I have tried a diaphragm from a diamond B in an O but I was not overly impressed with the results and went back to the original copper one. Basically, if I was rebuilding your N for myself, I would use the original diaphragm or a new one from Ron Sitko.
All that said, best of luck with your project. Keep us up with how you are doing and ask all of the questions you need to.

Jim

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks Jim--I am looking forward to getting this as good as it can be. There's no horn. Thanks to phonogal, I can use pictures and possibly either have decals made, or paint flowers myself, onto a replica horn. (No originals are surviving where I can afford them!)

So here is the machine now. Notice that the bedplate was originally a D. There is a number 12 on the bottom. Is this a date code for 1912?
Attachments
DSCN0024.JPG

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Notice that the bedplate was originally a D. There is a number 12 on the bottom. Is this a date code for 1912?
Not with a number that low.

George P.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The bedplate is repainted with one-shot black lacquer in a spray can, over which I brushed orange shellac. Now I'm buffing it and getting it ready for the decals and top coating.

The case itself turned out really pretty--I used a Dark Walnut stain but didn't let it soak in all the way. It came out more of an "Antique Oak..." well it is antique, and it's oak, so duh.

I'll have to upload some pics. Next stop, Wyatt's for some horn action, Rod and Ray for a N top, and Sitko's for motor bits. She should be playing soon--but the restoration won't stop there! ;)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Well--there's a hitch. I'm waiting to get the project going again, due to another project machine known as a Corolla. Talk about "shake it good!" I think the shock absorbers broke.

But the Standard E is going to do fine, as I am putting the decals on. Thanks to Greg Cline for a nice product, and to Edison's crew for good tastes, it's looking nice. I think it's going to be a few weeks before I can get the motor parts but the Standard will return.