The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is this Victrola walnut? - update!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:56 am 
Victor I
I like the walnut machines. Not the most detailed grain since it's a low cost model. This one cleaned up nice. I use NewLife products. A bit pricey but to me worth it. The masque really cleans of the years of grime. The conditioner finishes it off as you can see in these picts.

Attachments:
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg [ 1.84 MiB | Viewed 67 times ]
IMG_1129.jpg
IMG_1129.jpg [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 67 times ]
IMG_1131.jpg
IMG_1131.jpg [ 2.21 MiB | Viewed 67 times ]

Post subject: Re: Is this Victrola walnut? - update!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 pm 
Victor V
Goop helped refresh the surface of the wood quite a bit. The white streaks shown in the photo of the side of the cabinet are now gone. The lid is actually quite a bit darker than shown in the photo above. I think the owner tried to make the water rings less noticeable by putting some kind of darker stain on the lid. I've Gooped the lid 3 times now and I just keep getting brown stuff coming off it. I got some Barkeeper's Friend to use on the lid, also some Howard's Restor-a-Finish in Walnut. I plan to remove the lid from the machine, protect the side panels with something waterproof, then follow the advice given above to remove the stains. After that I'll let it dry thoroughly for a couple of days before using the Howard's.

The motor was running very irregularly, even getting to 100+ rpm at unpredictable intervals. I did what I could with the speed control, then wound it up fully and let it unwind about 10 times. That (and a few drops of oil) gave it enough of a "workout" to get the speed back to normal and stable. The motor could still use a proper cleaning, but it's not urgent.

Photos soon.