Is this Victrola walnut? - update!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Is this Victrola walnut? - update!

Post by 52089 »

This is a VV-100 that's being offered fairly near me. It looks to me like American Walnut, albeit with a stain or 2. Confirmations or opinions to the contrary would be appreciated, as would opinions on the difficulty of restoration.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
VV100 lid.jpg
Last edited by 52089 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwb88
Victor II

Re: Is this Victrola walnut?

Post by Jwb88 »

Yep!

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

It looks like walnut. The lid looks like it has a lot of water damage. You don't show any pictures of the rest of the machines finish. Is it damaged or in good condition. If the veneer is lifting and with the discolored water spots its not an easy fix.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

In other pictures it looks like the veneer is intact, but the wood is very dry. Here are 2 more photos.

Thoughts?
Attachments
VV front.jpg
VV side.jpg

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

You could probably dress it up with goop, etc., but I'd want to try to get that stain out with oxalic acid (Bar Keepers Friend) and that would probably require refinishing the top. Then, when you think about it, it'd probably look great refinished, it looks faded and dry, so you might want to do the whole thing--I'm tired just thinking about it :lol: In all seriousness though, if you think you could be content with just dressing it up with a detailed cleaning, goop, and possibly stain, it might be very nice.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I'd be tempted to goop it once or twice, perhaps see what I could do about at least reducing the water stain, and then trying Howard's Restor-a-Finish, at least on an inconspicuous place. I have neither the desire nor the ability to do a complete refinish job. The asking price is only $150, so I can't do too badly anyway.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Nice price, right price!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Well, after some mutual delays, I took it home today for the ridiculous price of $100 including 3 boxes of records. The water stain on the top of the lid blends in better than the photo above shows, but there's virtually no finish left on the top of the lid anyway. The wood is very dry. I'm hoping that Goop will help that. It holds tension when winding, so both springs should be OK. It will need all the usual cleanup of the motor and reproducer, but once that's done it will be a nice little machine. I will post pictures down the road.

EarlH
Victor III

Re: Is this Victrola walnut? - update!

Post by EarlH »

Oxalic Acid and bright sunlight should take care of that water stain. It may take awhile to pull the stain out though. And if you've never used it, you'll want to wear rubber gloves and wet the entire surface of your lid and keep it wet. Usually it will work quite fast, but sometimes it can take quite awhile. Make sure you wash it all off well, and you don't want to breathe the dust if you let it get dry. All of that makes it sound like it's a lot worse to use than it is. And use a nylon brush as it will dissolve the hair in a bristle brush! Good luck with it now, it's a nice looking machine.

rvwenger
Victor I

Re: Is this Victrola walnut? - update!

Post by rvwenger »

I have the same one in American walnut as well. It is a nice looking machine.