Columbia Grafonola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lily
Victor Jr

Columbia Grafonola

Post by Lily »

I just bought this Columbia Grafonola, and I would like any information on it that any of you experts have about it? I cannot figure out just what model it is.
Attachments
AE959BDD-5493-46B4-9194-5E4EB387559D.jpeg
DAEE4E3C-5CEC-4D8E-A123-85A9C95EE210.jpeg

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Columbia Grafonola

Post by audiophile102 »

"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Lily
Victor Jr

Post by Lily »

It looks similar but has 2 doors, and 4 record boxes that pull Down, also a thin drawer under the 4 boxes. It plays, but probably needs new needles. I am trying to figure out what knobs belong on the doors. Sorry about the upside down pic

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

You have either a "Nonpareil", or a Model 150. If it has a female crank, then it is a "Nonpareil". These were made from 1913-15. If this has a male crank, then it is a Model, 150. The model number designates the price. These were made from 1915-18.This should have a three spring motor. Nice machine.
Harvey Kravitz

GlensterTX
Victor O

Post by GlensterTX »

A little easier to see what a nice machine this is:
graf1.jpg
graf1.jpg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 871 times
graf2.jpg
graf2.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 871 times

Lily
Victor Jr

Post by Lily »

Thank you

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Lily,

To keep your records in better shape you will have to change the needle every time you play a record. I know this sounds weird--we're used to long-lasting needles on stereo sets, but back in the day the only way to keep from destroying records was to ensure the soundbox (needle head) had soft, fresh rubber gaskets, and to change the needle every time with a brand new one. (You can't economize by turning it, it'll just shred the grooves.)

eBay and the parts suppliers sell new needles and gaskets--they can turn the sound from meh to glorious. I always do that with mine, and never save original gaskets. They don't work well after a century of dry rotting!