Passing of a Phonograph Friend Floyd Silver

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Passing of a Phonograph Friend Floyd Silver

Post by Stephen_Madara »

Sorry to advise everyone that Floyd Silver owner of the antique phonograph shop vincentown new jersey passed away after a short retirement in Oklahoma City, Ok. Floyd was one of the last fulltime storefront phonograph dealers around and was a regular at the east coast shows. He is responsible for getting me interested in the hobby after repairing the spring in my families amberola 30 over 40 years ago. Floyd was always helpful in giving new collectors advice and truly enjoyed the hobby. I have attached his obituary which was posted today.

Floyd Louis Silver of Oklahoma City, OK, formerly of Southampton, NJ, age 80 years, passed away May 18th, 2018 in Oklahoma. He was born in Hollister, North Carolina and was very proud of his Native American History and was a member of the Haliwa-Saponi Tribe. Floyd was a decorated U.S. Army veteran having served in Vietnam and retired as a First Sergeant after 21 years of service in the Army. He also was a retired LPN for New Lisbon Developmental Center. He was a longtime resident of Southampton where he raised his family and retired to his dream home. Floyd loved to go antiquing and was a member of many Antique Associations. He also was an animal lover and liked antique and classic cars. He was preceded in death by his wife, Erika, in August 2015. Beloved father of Harry Silver & wife, Yon, Tobias Silver & wife, Teresa Merenda, and Rachel A. Silver; grandfather of Nathanial, Elijah and Wren; and brother of four living sisters. Relatives and friends of Floyd’s family are invited to his viewing and visitation 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. Friday morning, at The Lankenau Funeral Home, 57 Main St., Vincentown, Southampton, where there will be a funeral service at 11:00 a.m. Interment with Military Honors will be in BGWCD Veterans Memorial Cemetery, 350 Provinceline Road Arneytown, Wrightstown at 12:30 p.m. Friday. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Alzheimers Foundation. The Lankenau Funeral Home, 57 Main St., Vincentown, Southampton Stephen Lankenau, Director
Attachments
nip.jpg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Passing of a Phonograph Friend Floyd Silver

Post by Jerry B. »

Sorry to read about Floyd's passing. His good name goes back to my earliest memories of our hobby.

Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Floyd was a fixture of the East Coast shows, and I bought a number of items from him over the years. A nice guy.

George P.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

So sorry to hear this Steve... He is totally responsible for me getting into this hobby.. I still have my Victor "D", the first outside horn machine that I've ever owned. I bought it from Floyd complete with his handwritten instructions on how to refinish the case.. In fact I think I still have those instruction packed away somewhere.

Floyd always had time for anyone who walked into his shop. Myself, also living in South Jersey, made many a trip up Rt. 206 to his shop to purchase machines, parts and get pointers on how to properly restore my machines. So thankful for the knowledge that he had obtained and passed on to all us rookies over the years.

He was way ahead of his time in the phonograph community will surely be missed.

RIP Floyd.... will take it from here and try to live up to your standards

Gary Blizzard

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

So sorry to hear of Floyd's passing. He was one of the first collectors I met when I started collecting in 1976. Always helpful and always smiling. Two words come to mind about Floyd.... Gentle and Steady. He will be missed.

Brad Abell

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

R.I.P. Floyd.

I spoke to Floyd for the first time in 1993, he was in New Jersey back then, I was only 19 years old and needed a replacement tone arm for my phonograph. He knew I was young and did not have much money at the time, he sold me one for $50.00 complete with Reproducer.

In 2007 he sold me a minty Columbia 163 portable.

Floyd was a very nice and sincere person, he had a lot of knowledge and was willing to share it long before the advent of the internet.

All I can say is R.I.P. Floyd and you will always be remembered for your help, knowledge and great personality.

Jerry P.

Kevan
Victor I
Personal Text: Over Hill And Dale.....and back again.

Post by Kevan »

Sorry to hear about Floyd. I don't think I have ever met him and that is unfortunate. I would have loved to hear some of his stories. Thanks for letting us know Steve.

Kevan

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

requiescat in pace