Beware if buying modern turntable!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Beware if buying modern turntable!

Post by marcapra »

I just bought what I thought would be a superior turntable for my LPs and maybe even a turntable for my later 78s. I bought a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB Turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge costing over $600. After following the set-up instructions and balancing the tonearm, and setting the counterweight and anti-skating weight, I couldn't even play a record! When I lowered the tonearm down, it kept drifting back to right and not even touching the record! I thought this must be the anti-skating weight, so I removed it and now all the tonearm does is skate all over the record. No amount adjusting the weights could fix it. Total trash! Now I know why record collectors prefer the older turntables from the 70s and before. I tried to play the same record on an $80 Audio Technica LP60 and it played perfectly!

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Beware if buying modern turntable!

Post by PeterF »

Hey if you return it, and don't find a replacement by August, I'll bring you one of my extra Duals.

But honestly, it should work and I bet the correct is something so simple that it is just invisible to you. Hint: removing the anti-skate weight is a highly unlikely solution.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Peter, thanks for the offer. Yes, maybe i'm doing something wrong, but I did balance the tonearm and set the counter weight as directed. Yes, removing the anti-skate is not the way to go! But putting it back on just makes the tonearm drift strongly to the right away from the rim of the record.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Stupid question maybe, but is it level? It sounds like you did everything correctly, but I would carefully go back over all of the steps and contact customer service if that doesn't do it. For the price you paid, you should be able to look to them for all the help you need.

In my experience, the usual setup procedure is to: 1. level the unit. 2. set the counterweight so that the arm is balanced in mid air at zero tracking force with the shell and cartridge installed. 3. Set the tracking force scale to zero in whatever way it is done on this unit. This calibrates the tracking force scale. 4. Rotate the weight and scale to the desired tracking force.

Now set the anti-skate according to the method used on your turntable.

I hope this helps you and that it doesn't sound dumbed-down. If you can, please post pics so we can see what you are trying to deal with.

Jim

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

phonojim wrote: 4. Rotate the weight and scale to the desired tracking force.

Jim
As per Phonojim instructions most important you adjust item 4. correctly. At the point that you have the arm balanced and floating above the record. Set only the scale and not the weight itself to zero. Now hold weight and scale together and rotate anti-clockwise looking from the front of the turntable to the desired tracking force.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Herman, thank you for your added clarification.

Jim

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Sounds to me as if you have insufficient tracking force for the cartridge. The conventional wisdom is never to rely on the turntable's built-in tracking force indication. Instead, get a tracking force gauge and measure it directly, disregarding what the turntable is telling you. These days, a digital gauge can be had for maybe $20 or so from Amazon or turntable specialty websites.

Another possibility is that you have a bum stylus. You might have a look at it under a magnifying glass or microscope to see if it's broken off or whatnot. Just because a cartridge is brand new doesn't mean it can't have manufacturing errors or damage in packing.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

All pf the above are good things to check. Here are a few additional suggestions, and forgive me if you've already looked at these.
1. Check the needle carefully and be sure the tip has not been broken off, and be sure there is a needle installed to begin with.
2. Be sure the record raise/lower lever (if there is one) is not mis-adjusted, or otherwise preventing the tone-arm to lower fully to the record.
3. Check the cartridge to be sure it is installed correctly, and has not been damaged during shipment, or otherwise altered from its correct position.

Hope this will help. Cheers, Russie

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

drh wrote:Sounds to me as if you have insufficient tracking force for the cartridge. The conventional wisdom is never to rely on the turntable's built-in tracking force indication. Instead, get a tracking force gauge and measure it directly, disregarding what the turntable is telling you. These days, a digital gauge can be had for maybe $20 or so from Amazon or turntable specialty websites.
These little Neotek gauges work well. They can only measure to 5 grams maximum though. Which is more than you're ever going to use for playing LP's and 45's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xruhYSBFTPg