OH look a Victor 0

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Re: OH look a Victor 0

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Phonofreak wrote:Your Victor O is a really late one. Note the Aluminum ID plate. Also, the crank and motor is from a Victrola IV, These motors are usually quiet, because of the finer cut gears. The motor probably needs a good cleaning. For a machine this late, the Exhibition is the correct reproducer for this. You might be able to get by with a No. 2 reproducer, because these were made at the time of this machine. Is your motor board hinged? I, too have a late Victor O with a hinged motor board. Does your machine have a paper label on the bottom with a date on it?
Harvey Kravitz
Harvey no tag on the bottom ....you are right it has an aluminum plate ,the lid is screwed down see pictures
Attachments
AE4D7926-28FF-4F56-9E8C-EC812FBC605C.jpeg
AE4D7926-28FF-4F56-9E8C-EC812FBC605C.jpeg (55.88 KiB) Viewed 471 times
image.jpg

jmad7474
Victor I
Personal Text: "Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"

Post by jmad7474 »

I have a Victor 0 as well, and agree that yours is a REALLY late model, probably made during WWI (Victor stopped making these in 1920 after a 12 year production run). Interestingly, I have a REALLY early model myself (serial number below 9,000 - likely made no later than end of 1909) and can tell you that the motor, in spite of all the scrubbing and degreasing and adjusting and relubricating I did to it, is rather noisy during operation but not overly so that it overpowers the music made when playing a record. These little units are striking examples of Victor's commitment to expert craftsmanship even on their less-expensive machines, but we must remember that this was still an economy model and frankly, it amazes me that the puny motors on these (and the first batches put on Victor Is) have as much power as they do - I can play a 12" record on mine just fine!

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Thanks for all the input everyone!.its a nice little machine :)

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Vinrage_mania wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:If you really don't like the upside down decal you could reposition the little locking button (don't know the real name) at the small end of the horn. A skilled person could move the button so the decal is displayed on the other side of the machine and right side up. Just a thought... The modification could always be reversed.

Jerry B.
Jerry might do that at some point thanks for the suggestion ! ,busy trying to quiet the motor a bit

After Jerry made the suggestion I looked at the horn and low and behold another hole opposite side relocated the button or pin thingy nipper is right side up now :D
Attachments
image.jpg