Oregon to Union, 2018 (Phono Nerds Crossing America)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
melvind
Victor IV

Re: Oregon to Union, 2018 (Phono Nerds Crossing America)

Post by melvind »

We have been on long days in the truck and too tired to post for the last couple of days. I have a good story to tell about Minnesota and South Dakota. That will come in another post. But, since we saw such beautiful country coming through every state we drove through I thought I would show a handful of pictures taken from the truck. We got home today. A nice trip both directions with a great show in the middle.

South Dakota
20180612_075001.jpg
Our First glimpse of a mountain in western South Dakota
20180612_080123.jpg
Just inside eastern Wyoming on the South Dakota border
20180612_085014.jpg
Finally we get back to the beautiful green fir and pine trees of the pacific northwest in central and western Montana
20180613_151046.jpg
20180613_151115.jpg
Finally this morning we were back in Eastern Oregon driving down the Columbia river. The mountains of the Columbia Gorge from the Oregon side of the river looking at the Washington state side.
20180614_074444.jpg
20180614_074447.jpg
This is not the best picture, but it is Maryhill Museum built in the early 19 teens by Sam Hill for Queen Mary of Romania when she had to flee Romania. A rather wonderful museum in a beautiful manner house full of things a great as Rodin sculptures. This picture was taken in the truck while driving across the river, it is much more beautiful than this shows.
20180614_075056.jpg
About 60 miles east of Portland is this rest area and camp site named Memaloose Park. One of the most beautiful sites in the gorge.
20180614_082236.jpg
Also built by Sam Hill in the 19 teens is Vista House on the Columbia river old highway, now the Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway. A long shot from the truck, but the place is stunning with even more stunning views.
20180614_090934.jpg

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Long before we left on our trek to the Union show, Jerry contacted Stan and I excited about some great finds he had made on Craigs list in Minnesota and South Dakota. He said we would be able to drive on some of the secondary roads of both states to see parts of the states we had never seen. He had to pickup a bicycle and a Victrola IX near Minneapolis and another bicycle in South Dakota. This all sounded like lots of fun so as we left the Union show parking lot about 2:30 in the afternoon we headed towards our first pickup in Minnesota. This is where the fun started.

The bicycle was not really in Minneapolis, rather it was in Red Wing which meant we got off the Interstate and drove until fairly late in the day to get there and pickup one of these wonderful bicycles. We got there after having the Garmin direct us to drive up a staircase and need to turn the truck and trailer around on a very small hilly street. Once there we saw a little blue nondescript bicycle. A nice man, but we got attacked (we thought) by mosquitos. After a long day we stayed over in Red Wing.

The next morning we headed out early to get to an antique store when it opened and to Minneapolis to pick up the Victrola IX. We drove all the way through town past the west side of the city. We kept driving and driving and ended up on some lake, which was beautiful, but in the middle of nowhere. We finally got there and the guy we bought it from was carrying it to us up a along driveway. Jerry went to retrieve it from him. What a piece of junk! Terrible cabinet. The motor was sitting sideways inside the case and there was no sign of the turntable or crank.

So now we are on a secondary road west of Minneapolis heading towards South Dakota. The next bicycle was in the middle portion of South Dakota on a secondary road inside an Indian reservation. There were nearly no towns on the road. There was nearly nothing anywhere. Nowhere to stay. Nowhere to eat. We did find a wonderful restaurant in a very small town that turned out to be one of the best eats of our trip. We kept driving. More driving. More nothing. It gets later and later and starts to get dark. Then Jerry stops for diesel just as it is about to get dark. We move on past the little town the machine was said to be in. Miles and miles down the road west of town we turned down a highway with crudely written directions to the farm where the bicycle was to be. It gets darker and darker as we find all the roads on the list lit my my cell phone flashlight. Two dirt roads later we arrive at the house. The lady we bought it from was holding it waiting for us to get there. We get out and greet her. A very pleasant lady with a piece of junk purple bike that had belonged to her mother and grand mother. Of course Jerry had to prepare it for the bike rack while we talked. Stan and I were delegated to holding the bike up while jerry did his magic. I was literally attacked by mosquitos that made the first bike stop seem like nothing. I got eaten alive. 40 or 50 bites. Stan got bites too. But good old Jerry didn't get any bites. We were standing holding the bikes. He was busy moving around and avoided them. In misery in the truck we drove for most of another hour on a rural highway lit by a very bright Venus and Jupiter in the sky. A miserable night ensued trying to sleep through the welts and bumps all over my arms, head and legs.

All of this for the following two junker bicycles and a junker Victrola IX. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time and the trip was beautiful. But, two really long late nights and welts and itches made Stan and I wonder how we got into all this. It got better two days later (today) and we ended our trip on a beautiful drive down the Columbia river in our home state.

The moral of the story: When Jerry says we have the opportunity to see new roads to pick up great things push back and suggest staying a bit closer to the Interstates for high quality merchandise might be a better choice. :roll: :D :lol:
20180612_111433.jpg
20180612_111437.jpg
20180613_115334.jpg
20180613_115351.jpg
Last edited by melvind on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Finally we got home today. A wonderful trip (with some dreary moments of mosquitos and secondary highways). Three great friends enjoying the hobby we all have in common. Here we say goodbye for the 2018 trip from Oregon to Union and back.

Saying goodbye to Stan
20180614_102307.jpg
Saying goodbye to Jerry
IMG_1394.jpg
Saying goodbye to Dan
20180614_161701.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

It was great seeing you guys at Union, and following your adventures during your drive. I admit to being happy to get home on Monday!

George P.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Dan,

I think I gave you that beer last Sunday, and I see the bottle cap is still intact --- what's up with that!?!?!

Wisconsin beers rule (Oregon beers are a close second --- prove me wrong!),
Bob

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Pathé Logical wrote:Dan,

I think I gave you that beer last Sunday, and I see the bottle cap is still intact --- what's up with that!?!?!

Wisconsin beers rule (Oregon beers are a close second --- prove me wrong!),
Bob
Bob you are correct. I just couldn't bring myself to drink in the truck. I know... I'm a wimp. I thought I would save my Wisconsin beer for beach in my home town in Oregon! It will happen this weekend.

clarphon
Victor I

Post by clarphon »

I'm happy to be home with some great finds, especially the Victor VI record cabinet and a wonderful Siam Soo. I will post pictures once the Vic VI cabinet is restored. (In case you have forgotten, it's the one pictured in my farewell picture.) My only regret on the trip besides the mosquitos is that Bob gave a beer to only Dan and Jerry. So for me, Oregon Beer still rules!!!! So Bob, where is my Wisconsin Beer???? Stan

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Dear Cheapskate ;) ,

Until you buy a certain record from me --- No beer for you!!!

Recordially Yours,
Bob

P.S.: I passed my last two WI beers onto Dan. He kept one, and I had no control over who he gifted the remaining bottle to. But now I see --- Dan always liked Jerry better than you :o :lol: :P !!! I'll be sure to bring an ample supply next year, and reserve one for you! Or, just go and confiscate the one Dan has (last I checked, he hadn't opened it yet)!

PeterF
Victor IV

beer? nope, MOXIE!

Post by PeterF »

I met Marc Capralis ("marcapra" on here) the first time a few years ago at the CAPS banquet in LA...because he was handing out bottles of the ancient soft drink Moxie randomly, which was quite charming. He's thus a very cool dude...plus he's REALLY got Moxie!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie
Attachments
moxie-nerve-food-300x237.jpg
moxie-nerve-food-300x237.jpg (30.53 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
splendid splinter moxie.jpg
splendid splinter moxie.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 1042 times