Hard To Believe These Survived!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
startgroove
Victor III

Hard To Believe These Survived!

Post by startgroove »

Why these didn't get thrown away in one of our moves...? I thought we had started collecting in 1974, but it must have been 1973 or I wouldn't have found the APM. Does anyone have some from earlier?
Attachments
IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG (98.28 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Hard To Believe These Survived!

Post by phonogfp »

Some of us nerds have the APM from its first issue in 1972...! :o

George P.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

phonogfp wrote:Some of us nerds have the APM from its first issue in 1972...! :o

George P.
Well ,I was 12 ...in 1972....And yes i was collecting even then (radios) ....I am curious the oldest radio journal is from the AWA , I believe they started in 1950.Are there phonograph journals publication that old?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Vinrage_mania wrote:[ I believe they started in 1950.Are there phonograph journals publication that old?
None that I'm aware of, except possibly the City of London Gramophone and Phonograph Society publications. Starting in the late 1930s/early 1940s Hobbies magazine carried regular features on early records by Aida Favia-Artsay (spelling?) and "Pioneer Recording Artists" by Jim Walsh.

George P.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

phonogfp wrote:
Vinrage_mania wrote:[ I believe they started in 1950.Are there phonograph journals publication that old?
None that I'm aware of, except possibly the City of London Gramophone and Phonograph Society publications. Starting in the late 1930s/early 1940s Hobbies magazine carried regular features on early records by Aida Favia-Artsay (spelling?) and "Pioneer Recording Artists" by Jim Walsh.

George P.
Thanks George!

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Thanks guys! I think it would be neat to see pictures of earlier issues of APM or TMR, or even the AWA journal.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The late Ernie Bayly (1925-2004) gave up the editorship of the CLPGS magazine, but maintained his membership, to found The Talking Machine Review in 1969. He disposed of the Talking Machine Review in 1989, but continued to research and catalogue the recordings of the past. His efforts included the complete listing of the HMV B-prefixed catalogue series and the Billy Williams discography.