What model is the best sounding most desirable Orthophonic

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bigshot
Victor II

Re: What model is the best sounding most desirable Orthophon

Post by bigshot »

The biggest advantage of the Cortez is that it plays acoustic records just as well as electricals and even 40s records. If you only want one ultimate machine that plays everything, the Cortez is it.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Uncle Vanya wrote:I've owned and restored examples of every model of the Orthophonic Victrola, as well as the Brunswick Cortez and the Columbia 800/810. Each of the larger machines has its good pinpoints and it's faults. In fact, at one point I had examples of each of these machines set up side by side in a large room with good acoustics for direct comparason.
Also we must remember that every individual's ears differ, and the ideal machine for one person will be sub-optimal to another.

To my ears, the metal horned Orthophonic machines are preferable to the wood horned instruments, for they offer better balance and an enhanced upper mid-range, whilst offering bass response comparable to the Credenza. The 10-50 is excellent, but my ears find that this model's extended bass response seems to come at the cost of goog upper range response. These machines seem to blend the advantages of straight horned machines such as the Cortez with the better balance and extended bass of the Credenza.

The brass Orthophonic reproducer is desirable because of its seeming imperishability, but a good pot metal unit with its phasing plug which has been restored by an expert like Mr. Marcus is audibly superior.
Bob! You're there! Been trying to reach you for the longest... :D
Adam

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

What Orthophonic sounds best?

As you can see the answers are all subjective to each persons experience. I’ve had both the two door Credenza & fourdoor example, both at the same time. The fourdoor one had a reconditioned and sealed horn so it was able to outperform the two door unit.

The metal horn 8-9 and 8-35 to me sound louder and more direct plus you don’t have to deal with the hassle of rejuvenation of the dried out wood horn.

My two current high end acoustic machines are a HMV 194 with a large re-entrant metal horn and a external horn EMG Mk VIII. So I am subjectively biased by these two gramophones.

I will strongly suggest you find collectors with restored examples of the various larger orthophonic Victrola’s and actually listen to them. Then you will be able to accurately judge for yourself what you like or dislike. And also ask questions about what was needed to get them into playing condition.

Regards,
Glenn

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
OrthoFan wrote:In terms of cabinet style, I'd love to have a VV-8-35, or a VV-8-9
I have one of each and I think you’d be hard pressed to get a better sound out of the various other models.
I also have both and heartily agree. The 8-9 and 8-35 sound fantastic.

Matt

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

bigshot wrote:The biggest advantage of the Cortez is that it plays acoustic records just as well as electricals and even 40s records. If you only want one ultimate machine that plays everything, the Cortez is it.

The metal horned 1928-9 model Orthophonic machines are similarly flexible, but in addition they have an extended range and a,less pronounced midrange peak when compared to the Cortez. The larger HMV "Re-Entrant" models which our cousins across the pond produced at that time evince further superiority. The model 163 is roughly equivalent to our 8-35 and 9-8 models. The models 193 and 194 are distinctly superior to any American Orthophonic. The scarce and desirable HMV models 201 and 203 have a well earned reputation as the ultimate in internal horn talking machines.

That Victor oddity, the Revere, has a place in this discussion, I think. For orchestral and dance records of its period its reproduction is really fine if it is properly situated in a room with the,correct acoustics.

pianolist
Victor I

Post by pianolist »

Since the 10-50 has been mentioned, I like the metal horn in my 10-35X, the automatic version of the 8-35. The advantages of the large metal orthophonic horn while catering to those of us who maybe “lazier than we would like to admit” as the Victor ad copy states.

Ron

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

Uncle Vanya wrote:[in addition they have an extended range and a,less pronounced midrange peak when compared to the Cortez.
The strong midrange of the Cortez is what makes early acoustics sound better on it. When I've heard acoustics played on orthophonic machines, they sound kind of muffled and wimpy compared to the way they sound on a machine designed to play acoustics. The Cortez's strength is its versatility. It may have a little less bass than a Victor, but it more than makes up for that by being able to play just about any vintage of 78 you throw at it well. I've played acoustics from 1900, 20s electricals, 40s red label Columbias and even 50s Capitol on the Cortez and they all sound good. I don't know any other machine that does that, aside perhaps from my VV-265 portable.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Eric,

If you decide on a VE 10-50, I should have 6 very nice ones ready in about a month. I have been working on them for the past couple weeks cleaning them up, replacing any missing parts with original parts, and totally dissembling and cleaning the changers then oiling/greasing them for perfect operation. (See photos of 2 of the 7 changers I just rebuilt below). The original pot metal parts that are a must to be replaced (not seen below), will be replaced with new aluminum ones currently being made by a local foundry. New brass gears will be used to replace the pot metal ones (these are not related to the gears seen below). I can offer free delivery and operation verification at the end of July if you live along the route between Florida to Ohio to South Jersey and back to Florida. I will post the sale and pictures of these 10-50s on TMF once I receive, install, and verify the pot metal replacement new aluminum parts.

Otherwise, good luck with your Orthophonic machine decision.

-Wayne
Attachments
0DCE6E1B-9A84-4930-BFCD-1EA3F8726720.jpeg
65D5FB61-DF7C-4EB1-8BDA-606F472C8566.jpeg
Last edited by Victrola-Monkey on Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

bigshot wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:[in addition they have an extended range and a,less pronounced midrange peak when compared to the Cortez.
The strong midrange of the Cortez is what makes early acoustics sound better on it. When I've heard acoustics played on orthophonic machines, they sound kind of muffled and wimpy compared to the way they sound on a machine designed to play acoustics. The Cortez's strength is its versatility. It may have a little less bass than a Victor, but it more than makes up for that by being able to play just about any vintage of 78 you throw at it well. I've played acoustics from 1900, 20s electricals, 40s red label Columbias and even 50s Capitol on the Cortez and they all sound good. I don't know any other machine that does that, aside perhaps from my VV-265 portable.

Acoustic recordings retain their brilliance when played on the metal horned machines, certainly as compared to any of the wooden horned re-entrant Orthophonic machines

The Cortez, a machine which I do very much like, doe suffer from some odd mid range distortion, in addition to a general "peaky" quality to it's reproduction which I find tiring after long listening. The 8-35 or 8-9 I can listen to all day.

Here is a clean (unplayed dealer stock as I recall) copy of a 1927 Whiteman waxing played on my Cortez.

https://youtu.be/JdXprF9N6wg

And a recording with similar instrumentation played on one of my 8-9 instruments:

https://youtu.be/E6ngb_luwwE

Please pardon the awful I-Pad videos, which do not do justice to either machine, but they DO alloa for a rough comparason. Note the audible wear on the Mexican record.