I need some help/advice for a Victrola Colony I just got.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dennislpr
Victor O

I need some help/advice for a Victrola Colony I just got.

Post by dennislpr »

Hello everyone, a couple of days ago this little Victor Victrola Colony was for sale here in South Florida. I had to drive almost two hours to get it, but it was worth it, I got it for an incredible price and I'm very happy with it. This is my first orthophonic machine, for some reason I'm getting this high pitch hiss on some records, is that normal? The sound quality is quite good but since is my first orthophonic machine I don't have another one to compare it to. I'm going to add some pictures of it and two videos that I uploaded to YouTube, you can hear the issue I'm having on the second video very clearly, what do you think? Should I rebuild the reproducer? Thank you.

First YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/pJ1JOiRBTCI

Second YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/peDaACqxvKU
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG

Victor VI

Re: I need some help/advice for a Victrola Colony I just got

Post by 52089 »

You probably have a combination of surface noise and reproducer issues. Clean your records gently and have your reproducer rebuilt and you will hear a difference.

dennislpr
Victor O

Post by dennislpr »

The records were cleaned previously of making the videos, I guess is it might be the reproducer, funny thing is that I only hear it on some records, it doesn't quite make sense to me, if it were a reproducer issue don't you think that the high pitch hiss should be heard on all records not some of them? Thanks for the advice.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

The high pitched ringing tone really comes through on the second video! I agree that the reproducer (sound box) could stand an overhaul.

One thing you can check, make sure that the small screw -->
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (54.68 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
...is not touching the needle-bar.

Most likely, the diaphragm gaskets could stand a replacement, along with the ball bearings holding the needle bar pivot.

OrthoFan

dennislpr
Victor O

Post by dennislpr »

I just checked, the small screw is not touching the needle bar.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I was going to say that different records sound different because some records are worn out. I just played Boo Hoo by Guy Lombardo and it sounded terrible from record wear hiss. Well, that makes sense since it was a big hit in 1937 and got played a lot. but the high pitched squeal on your second video sounds like a lubrication problem or a dragging brake.

rhammond
Victor Jr

Post by rhammond »

I redid one of these for a customer several years ago. What was amazing on that one was the size of the motor. For the size of the cabinet, it had a motor that you would expect to find in a portable. The one that I was working on had a broken spring and I remember thinking that it just would not play well. The surprising thing is that it ended up being a very good motor and it played well. If I remember correctly, the production numbers were fairly low on this one compared to a lot of machines of this era.

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Post by Springmotor70 »

Just as OrthoFan recommended, try adjusting the limit screw while it is playing...
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010