Victrola Orthophonic tonearm question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Victrola Orthophonic tonearm question

Post by marcapra »

I know right off that I don't have the original tonearm. I think the previous owner said it came off of an 8-35. So I understand that there is some kind of stop on the tonearm base that should stop of the tonearm before it goes past the straight position. Thanks for your replies. And yes, the premature triggering of the auto shut off mechanism never happens on a Victor record. It mostly occurs on Columbia Viva-Tonals.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Yes, On my 8-9 the fingers of the brake do indeed disengage from the tone arm if the tone arm is moved too far left or right. Original tone arm and brake as far as I know.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

marcapra wrote:I know right off that I don't have the original tonearm. I think the previous owner said it came off of an 8-35. So I understand that there is some kind of stop on the tonearm base that should stop of the tonearm before it goes past the straight position. Thanks for your replies. And yes, the premature triggering of the auto shut off mechanism never happens on a Victor record. It mostly occurs on Columbia Viva-Tonals.
I happen to have a friend looking for an 8-35 tonearm, he may be able to trade you one that is correct for your 8-9. PM me if you are interested.