The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Victor VV1-70
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 am 
Victor II
Hi All,
I saw a Victor VV1-70 locally it is missing it's horn. I did a search but found nothing on this machine. I do not know much about Victor values and wondered if any one could give me input. I can make an offer but there is no set price.
Thank you all,
Allen

Post subject: Re: Victor VV1-70
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:49 am 
Victor O
"Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"
The 1-70 model is a collectible player definitely worth the cost of restoration, but it is not that rare of a player to find. I have seen beat-up models sell for less than $60 while fully refurbished ones go for over $500. It helps if the original lid lock (only used on this model) is still intact, and whether the reproducer is pot metal (Victrola #4, not worth much since they have a tendency to literally break apart with age) or brass (Victrola #4A, worth a pretty penny when properly rebuilt since Victor did not make these for more than about eight months!)

Hope this helps and good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 am 
Victor IV
A Ford 1 wrote:
Hi All,
... I did a search but found nothing on this machine. ...
Thank you all,
Allen

From Victor-Victrola.com -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/1-70.htm
From YouTube -- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... VV-1-70%22
From this site -- https://www.google.com/search?lr=&as_qd ... jIyGXAN3Ww

The horn, shown in this post -- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1441&start=0 -- is basically a piece of flat wood that wraps around the motor area. It's relatively simple, and not truly exponential

HTH,
OrthoFan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 am 
Victor V
jmad7474 wrote:
The 1-70 model is a collectible player definitely worth the cost of restoration, but it is not that rare of a player to find. I have seen beat-up models sell for less than $60 while fully refurbished ones go for over $500. It helps if the original lid lock (only used on this model) is still intact, and whether the reproducer is pot metal (Victrola #4, not worth much since they have a tendency to literally break apart with age) or brass (Victrola #4A, worth a pretty penny when properly rebuilt since Victor did not make these for more than about eight months!)

Hope this helps and good luck.

I've never seen a lid lock on a 1-70. Can you post photos?

Also, I think you have the reproducer ID backwards. The #4 is brass, and the far more common #4A is pot metal (and very cheap pot metal at that).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:35 pm 
Victor II
The Victor I saw must have had an incorrect data plate as it is a table top with external horn and the square case has wood extending from the four corners like flying buttresses. I am updating this as I have looked in a few books and ti is like a Victor III or IV with flying buttress appendages! Tomorrow I will look to see what reproducer it has.
Allen

Last edited by A Ford 1 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:48 pm 
Victor III
Hopefully a posted photo will help with your questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:04 pm 
Victor II
see the earlier post that has been updated.
Allen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:15 pm 
Victor IV
A Ford 1 wrote:
The Victor I saw must have had an incorrect data plate as it is a table top with external horn and the square case has wood extending from the four corners like flying buttresses. I am updating this as I have looked in a few books and ti is like a Victor III or IV with flying buttress appendages! Tomorrow I will look to see what reproducer it has.
Allen

Hi Allen:

None of the standard production Victor outside horn models had corners like "flying buttresses." It sounds like it might be a Frankenphone (assembled from parts culled from various models, sometimes those made by different manufacturers) or a Crap-o-phone (which you can google).

Either way, the VV-1-70 was an enclosed horn table model, so the mfg. tag is incorrect for what you saw. Again, photos would help.

BTY, for easy reference, here's the link to the Victor-Victrola page with jumps to all the models -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/new_page_2.htm

OrthoFan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 pm 
Victor V
Location: NW Indiana B-19;VV-IV; VV-VI;VV-XVI; Edison Home B; Amberola 30; Col. BK; Magnola;
I have one on eBay now, the motor has been cleaned and lubed and the reproducer rebuilt. All in all a nice machine for 250.00.
I replaced the grille cloth, if the purchaser don’t like it they can change it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:44 am 
Victor II
Hi all,
I checked out the reproducer it is as i recall a Meastrophone it is in a local Auction.
Allen