L-door XVI

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phono-Phan
Victor V

L-door XVI

Post by Phono-Phan »

I was hoping that someone with more knowledge on VV-XVIs could answer this question. I am looking at a mahogany L-Door to purchase. It has a later brake set-up on it. Is this correct? The motor board looks like a match to the cabinet but I have never seen an L-Door with this brake set-up. The motor board is also recessed. I have asked for a picture of the ID plate to get a serial number. Thanks in advance for any information.
Ken
Attachments
IMG_1146.JPG

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: L-door XVI

Post by Dave D »

According to the Victor Data Book, some models did use that brake.
Dave D

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Ken,

I don't know the XVI inside and out, but I do know a tiny little bit about the Victor habit of offering upgrades for everything.

My XIV came with an automatic brake from the factory marked as VICTOR SEMI AUTOMATIC BRAKE. Yours is an aftermarket--as the tone arm is not drilled and tapped for the trigger arm, but it rather clamps over the taper tube itself.

I think this is more interesting and unique even than the venerable bullet brake (cool to watch and sounds good when it clicks on) because this is a rare accessory showing the way in which The Customer could always be persuaded to spoon them "beans" into the Victor bankrolls.

Also, it turns itself off, which is nice.

Good luck and that looks like really pretty plating on that machine! Mahogany and gold can't be beat.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Thanks for the replies. It does look like an upgrade from the way it left the factory. Another picture was sent that shows the bullet brake was there. This may be worth going after.
Attachments
IMG_1149.JPG

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

Ken, if I am correct, the flush mounted motor board indicates this should be a "C" suffix machine. I believe the earlier examples might have left the factory with the bullet type brake but as this one is equipped, upgraded with the later tab type. Hope this helps. Regards, Wes

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

I had a 1911 XVI mahogany L-door at one time which had the tab brake and bolt/clip-on auto brake accessory. There wasn't even a ghost/vestige of the bullet brake on it. I believe it came from the factory with the tab brake, and the auto-stop, as was mentioned, was an accessory.

They're beautiful machines. Good luck if you get it!

~ Charlie

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

My D series has the tab brake and bolt-on auto stop as well.

Bill

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Looks like this was certainly an upgrade. In my limited experience, most of the L doors did not receive upgrades such as this which may make this example more historically interesting.

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

It's correct.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I read in my Look For The Dog book, that this accessory came out in 1913. That's when the the Victrolas had this brake system factory installed. The L-Door manufacturing ceased in 1912. This is definitely an upgrade, or a NOS L-Door possibly sold at reduced price. Check for any labels or markings to see if this was a Victor second hand machine. Also, note the record brush on the arm and reproducer. It's a really nice machine showing a lot of upgraded history. If the price is right, go for it.
Harvey Kravitz