Any evidence the Wood Sonora arm is better sound?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Any evidence the Wood Sonora arm is better sound?

Post by larryh »

Just wondering about those wood tone arms. I had one on the Grand version years ago but never really got it to play very impressively. Now I see the one posted here a few days ago and am quite impressed with the sound of the video. I am wondering if any real difference can be heard comparing a metal to wood version? Some at Union thought that the wood actually would detract from the sound by absorbing too much sound. Not sure I agree with that but then I can't prove it either. Thus the question?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Any evidence the Wood Sonora arm is better sound?

Post by estott »

I've never been impressed by the metal arm used on Sonoras- too many joints and sound leaks.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Any evidence the Wood Sonora arm is better sound?

Post by audiophile102 »

The sound quality coming from my metal Sonora tone arm is excellent. Loud and bright. Sonora advertised that the wood tone arm made the sound warmer. The wood tone arm was an added expense and is quite beautiful. Wood is effected by moisture or the lack of it. Every summer the access door on my A250 swells a little and makes it harder to open and close. Humidity or the lack of it might make the joints in the wood tone arms harder to seal. I have noticed loose joints on of few Sonora tone arms that I have seen. Having said that, I really like the beauty of the Sonora wood tone arm and wish I had it. I don't intend to trade up or modify my Sonora. It's Invincible just the way it is.
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=21672
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."