VV 8-4 tonearm question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

VV 8-4 tonearm question

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well, I finally managed to get a floor model orthophonic! But unfortunately the pot metal back bracket on the original tonearm must have broken a long time ago, and somebody did some hack fix where they just stuck on a tonearm from an older machine. There was a tonearm for sale on eBay for an 8-4 but the listing expired right before I could buy it! :( My question is were orthophonic tonearms interchangeable from machine to machine or is the tonearm for an 8-4 exclusive to that machine? Thanks.
Attachments
Wrong tonearm
Wrong tonearm

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: VV 8-4 tonearm question

Post by marcapra »

There are some differences in Orthophonic tonearms, but the 8-4 did not have a special tone arm just for 8-4s. The early Orthophonic tonearms on the early Credenzas, Consolettes, Colonies, and Granadas did not have the overhang support, but were self-supporting. There are cosmetic difference in the finishes as some were nickel, some gold, and others were antique bronze. There might be some difference in where the shutoff post is located also.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

There was a tonearm for sale on eBay for an 8-4 but the listing expired right before I could buy it!
Just because an item closes on Ebay doesn't mean you can't buy it. I've bought many Ebay items that had expired. Just do a search for that item, then click on Completed Items on the left. Then contact the seller and make your offer.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

marcapra wrote:
There was a tonearm for sale on eBay for an 8-4 but the listing expired right before I could buy it!
Just because an item closes on Ebay doesn't mean you can't buy it. I've bought many Ebay items that had expired. Just do a search for that item, then click on Completed Items on the left. Then contact the seller and make your offer.

Great tip thanks! So if somebody lists on eBay "Tone arm for 4-3, 4-7, or 8-12" It will fit my 8-4?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
marcapra wrote:

Great tip thanks! So if somebody lists on eBay "Tone arm for 4-3, 4-7, or 8-12" It will fit my 8-4?
I think a tonearm from a Consolette (4-3) might be too short; don't know about the others. There are a few 8-4 owners on this forum. Perhaps someone could take measurements and/or post a few photos?

OF

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

marcapra wrote:
Ok, looking at the list of completed items it turns out it has been sold! Dang it! After weeks on being on eBay too, somebody else bought it the day I needed it! :( Murphy’s law I guess.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Your best bet is to buy the right one. Some may be interchangeable, but some aren't. The tonearm on my 8-9 is an inch longer than the one on my 4-7. Plus they are mounted at various locations on the motor board (right, left, center), so the free swing limits vary. You may be able to adjust it, but if the pot metal bracket is frozen in the mounting steel plate, it won't be easy.
Best regards ... AZ*

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

The 8-4 uses the same tone arm as the 8-30 and 9-15.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Silvertone wrote:The 8-4 uses the same tone arm as the 8-30 and 9-15.
I'm wondering if this would work...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (35.21 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
FROM: https://www.phonographs.org/store/r-328 ... -2497.html

OrthoFan

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

OrthoFan wrote:
Silvertone wrote:The 8-4 uses the same tone arm as the 8-30 and 9-15.
I'm wondering if this would work...
Capture.JPG
FROM: https://www.phonographs.org/store/r-328 ... -2497.html

OrthoFan
I dunno... will it have that plate thingy with ball bearings in it? Or will I have supply my own?