Silly Victrola VV-IX Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
adaytoolong
Victor Jr

Silly Victrola VV-IX Question

Post by adaytoolong »

Hi Everyone. Yesterday, I bought a nice mahogany VV-IX for a decent price. It needs a little cleaning up and a few small parts (screws and the knob to lift the motor board). I have encountered an issue that probably has an easy answer but it's eluding me: I cannot figure out how to get the horn out of the cabinet.

The wooden slats attached to the horn make it too big to fit through the front and I can't wiggle it to enough of an angle to get it out. I can't remove the slats because I can't reach all the screws holding it to the horn.

I thought about taking the bottom off, but it's nailed on with small nails and I don't want to risk breaking the wood. Of course, if that's the only way it comes out, I'll give it a shot.

Any ideas? Am I missing something incredibly simple here? Thanks.

Ken

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Silly Victrola VV-IX Question

Post by Jerry B. »

I’m reasonably sure it went into the machine through the bottom and must exit the same route.

Jerry Blais

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

adaytoolong wrote:Hi Everyone. Yesterday, I bought a nice mahogany VV-IX for a decent price. It needs a little cleaning up and a few small parts (screws and the knob to lift the motor board). I have encountered an issue that probably has an easy answer but it's eluding me: I cannot figure out how to get the horn out of the cabinet.

The wooden slats attached to the horn make it too big to fit through the front and I can't wiggle it to enough of an angle to get it out. I can't remove the slats because I can't reach all the screws holding it to the horn.

I thought about taking the bottom off, but it's nailed on with small nails and I don't want to risk breaking the wood. Of course, if that's the only way it comes out, I'll give it a shot.

Any ideas? Am I missing something incredibly simple here? Thanks.

Ken
Why do you want to take it out ?

adaytoolong
Victor Jr

Post by adaytoolong »

I wanted to take it out because it would make it easier to clean, but it cleaned up really nice as-is, so I decided not to mess with removing the bottom. This weekend, I'm going to tackle cleaning the motor, so I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks.

Ken

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

IIRC, it goes out the back once the upper back panel is removed.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

The VV-IX horn must be removed through the bottom as Jerry Blais stated. The cabinet back is not designed to be removed.

Jim

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

phonojim wrote:The VV-IX horn must be removed through the bottom as Jerry Blais stated. The cabinet back is not designed to be removed.

Jim
Perhaps my dyslexia is flaring up, I read XI in the title, the XI I took apart last month came out the back, I think. Well, anyway it came out it wasn't the bottom (cabinet was a little wonky) :lol: