Has there ever been a book on the Orthophonic Victrolas?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Has there ever been a book on the Orthophonic Victrolas?

Post by marcapra »

I'm wondering if there has ever been a book published on the Orthophonic era from 1925 to 1929. I know there are books that include the Orthophonic era such as Baumbach's books, which are great, but I'm talking a book that would go into the details of just the Orthophonic era. It would include more than just specifications and data, but go into the restoration techniques, the era, the sales promotions, the dealer showrooms, and comparisons with the products that competed with Victrola like Brunswick, Columbia, and Edison. It seems if they could do a book dedicated to RCA's Radiolas, they could do a book on the Orthophonic machines and the Roaring Twenties era in which they flourished. I think I already know there is no such book or I would already own it.

Retrograde
Victor III

Re: Has there ever been a book on the Orthophonic Victrolas?

Post by Retrograde »

sounds like a good project... you could retire in total financial bliss. Those Victroler book authors are always so rich you know :lol:

Seriously, it would be a great addition. :D

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I think it's a great idea, but I'd be more interested in seeing a comprehensive book covering "Orthophonic Era" phonographs. In addition to providing "all in one place" information about the Victor models, it could include what is known about Columbia (Viva-Tonal models), Brunswick (Exponential Panatropes), Edison, Sonora ("Tonalic"?), Sears (Tru-phonic models), Wards (Mellophonic models), etc.

OrthoFan

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Retrograde wrote:sounds like a good project... you could retire in total financial bliss. Those Victroler book authors are always so rich you know :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I think it's a great idea, but I'd be more interested in seeing a comprehensive book covering "Orthophonic Era" phonographs. In addition to providing "all in one place" information about the Victor models, it could include what is known about Columbia (Viva-Tonal models), Brunswick (Exponential Panatropes), Edison, Sonora ("Tonalic"?), Sears (Tru-phonic models), Wards (Mellophonic models), etc.
Yes, I think that's an even better idea! Even Pathé had a Credenza competitor called the Pathephonic. The book would be called In The Orthophonic Era with Donald Trump. I've been thinking about retiring to a beach front house in La Jolla and the money from the book would let me do that. I put the "Donald Trump" in the title just to get it on the Times Best Seller List. I'm going to let the book publishers court me and let them bid against each other until I get a great offer. I'm thinking it would be about 350 to 500 pages long with lots of full color plates and coffee table size.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Marc, I'd title it "In The Orthophonic Era Without Donald Trump" to avoid the lawsuit... Bigly. Maybe even "Before Donald Trump". This way you can use the Trump name, yet with the title being 100% demonstrably true.

Sincerely, Mr. Lou Pohl, Esq.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Well, there goes this worthy post.

-Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

fran604g wrote:Well, there goes this worthy post.

-Fran
Not necessarily, since the idea has merit...

Over the years, I've culled through the references on this site --

http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/recording/notes.html
http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/recording/ortho.html

In terms of putting all of the available knowledge together, I think a good starting place would be an online guide--perhaps a new Wikipedia page--"Phonographs and Gramophones during the Era of Early Electrical Recording" with photos, text descriptions, jumps to related topics from websites, online books, etc. It could include input from members of this forum, and those interested. It could link to this page, in fact -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Or ... c_Victrola (Or, perhaps the page could be expanded?)

Wish I were more web savvy. I tried setting up a Wikipedia page about another topic once, and it turned out an absolute disaster. I had to have a friend of mine help me get it deleted.

OrthoFan

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

you could get it ediited by Linda McMahon since she is in charge of the SBA !! the companion video could have wreslers jump off the top turnbuckle onto crapophones !! I want a percentage since i thought of it though

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Sounds like a good idea. The Orthos are a league of their own, would it cover the Victrola VV 1-70 as a Orthophonic like Look for the Dog?