what model victrola-Electrola Radiola is this from?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Vinrage_mania
Victor II

what model victrola-Electrola Radiola is this from?

Post by Vinrage_mania »

My girlfreind found this at a garage sale this AM ,after hearing the normal questions like were there any other parts of it!,and were there any records ! she rolled here eyes and said “some records in the trunk” what model is this from ? records are decent too
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
4E9B7C94-A94E-4625-BA67-00E10867E04B.jpeg

EarlH
Victor III

Re: what model victrola-Electrola Radiola is this from?

Post by EarlH »

One of the large machines like the Borgia that used the horn for the amplifier on the radio and the phonograph. That's the plate under the control knob that switch it from the radio to the phonograph depending on what you were playing. It was used on several of those machines.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: what model victrola-Electrola Radiola is this from?

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

That’s right... the Borgia I and II, VE 9-40, and also the smaller sized VE 8-60. The lever that plate used, moved the mechanical air valve to allow the flow of sound waves from the acoustic reproducer, or from the electric horn driver to ultimately flow to the Orthophonic horn. That air valve is made of pot metal which typically had expanded and froze up with time. Then the lever, also made of pot metal, typically broke in attempts to move the air valve. I have currently have examples of all 3 models having this dilemma.