Brunswick Parisian - Help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
amyrose_CT
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I love music

Brunswick Parisian - Help

Post by amyrose_CT »

Not sure if my last post was posted because I was prompted to log on.
I have a Brunswick Parisian but when I put the arm down on the record it slows to a stop. I figure first off it needs cleaning. But I can't figure how to open it up. Just don't want to force something.

Help

Amy

Victor VI

Re: Brunswick Parisian - Help

Post by 52089 »

Your machine is exactly the same mechanically as the Polly Portable. Search on that term and you will find many relevant discussions.

IIRC, the 2 screws that hold the handle onto the front of the machine also secure the metal bedplate to the front of the case. Once you unscrew those, you need to lift the front of the bedplate up. Try pulling gently on the speed control knob. One you have it up a bit, the rear of the bedplate is held on by 2 pins. Just pull the bedplate forward a bit to release.

Machine drag is caused by any of the following: 1) weak springs, 2) worn needles - use a fresh needle for every play, and 3) certain types of records. Again, you'll find lots of info has already been posted.

Good luck with your machine.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi,
The spring of the Polly etc. is only capable of playing one record at best so make sure you have put enough turns into it's crank along with any other suggestions.
Allen

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Post by Springmotor70 »

Ditto on all the above. Your spring may be broken.
Besides changing the needle, very worn records have more drag and are difficult for many single spring machines to play - especially from the beginning.

Good Luck!
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

52089 wrote:Your machine is exactly the same mechanically as the Polly Portable. Search on that term and you will find many relevant discussions.

IIRC, the 2 screws that hold the handle onto the front of the machine also secure the metal bedplate to the front of the case. Once you unscrew those, you need to lift the front of the bedplate up. Try pulling gently on the speed control knob. One you have it up a bit, the rear of the bedplate is held on by 2 pins. Just pull the bedplate forward a bit to release.

Machine drag is caused by any of the following: 1) weak springs, 2) worn needles - use a fresh needle for every play, and 3) certain types of records. Again, you'll find lots of info has already been posted.

Good luck with your machine.
4) Gunked up governor
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

The Polly is small enough to ship. I can repair this for you. Wyatt Email: restorationarts@gmail.com
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!