Graphophone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lagge0101
Victor Jr
Personal Text: 16 y/o

Graphophone

Post by Lagge0101 »

Could someone tell me about this graphophone? Rarity, value... the guy who sells it is asking 170€ (worth it?)

PS: The graphophone comes without the horn.
Attachments
DD531910-70C7-4236-958E-2A22548C886E.jpeg
Lagge

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Graphophone

Post by phonogfp »

Lagge0101 wrote:Could someone tell me about this graphophone? Rarity, value... the guy who sells it is asking 170€ (worth it?)

Unfortunately, it also comes without the carriage and reproducer. This AT will not play in its present state.

The AT is a common model, and unless you have the missing components, this one will be difficult to get working again.

George P.

Lagge0101
Victor Jr

Post by Lagge0101 »

phonogfp wrote:
Lagge0101 wrote:Could someone tell me about this graphophone? Rarity, value... the guy who sells it is asking 170€ (worth it?)

Unfortunately, it also comes without the carriage and reproducer. This AT will not play in its present state.

The AT is a common model, and unless you have the missing components, this one will be difficult to get working again.

George P.

I see, I didnt notice it myself since im not that into cylinder graphophones. I will Ask the seller if he can reduce the machine to a reasonable price since there is parts missing. Thank you for the information.
Lagge

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I see from your Profile (one of the very few on this forum with information in it!) that you are young and a beginning collector. My advice is to leave this one alone. If the seller gave it to you gratis you'd have a non-working common phonograph with a hammered decal and needing difficult-to-find parts. Save your money and buy a machine that will bring you satisfaction and enjoyment rather than frustration.

Best of luck! :)

George P.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Good advice above. That model is notorious for having an upper frame that bows upward, and that one looks like it has done that. A smaller percentage were made with cast iron, but the majority are pot metal (which distorts over time). If a magnet doesn't stick to the black painted upper part, stay away from it at any price (except if it is free). If a magnet sticks to it, you would at least have a machine that could be made to work some day. I believe you can still get a reproduction carriage and reproducers are readily available. However, even with those parts being available, and if the upper frame turns out to be cast iron, it would still be a low value machine once completed.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

I was also going to mention the pot metal issue that this one is obviously afflicted with - you can see the gap in the middle at the "HO" in graphophone where a sizable space has opened up between black casting and the nickel base plate

Lagge0101
Victor Jr

Post by Lagge0101 »

phonogfp wrote:I see from your Profile (one of the very few on this forum with information in it!) that you are young and a beginning collector. My advice is to leave this one alone. If the seller gave it to you gratis you'd have a non-working common phonograph with a hammered decal and needing difficult-to-find parts. Save your money and buy a machine that will bring you satisfaction and enjoyment rather than frustration.

Best of luck! :)

George P.
That sounds like a good idea, I dont want a non functioning machine that will cost me even more money to repair. I'll stick with your advice and leave the machine be :D I am still glad that i got information regarding machines like this! every bit of information, is good information!
Lagge

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

There are a number of interesting articles on the Antique Phonograph Society's web site. You might especially enjoy this one:

https://www.antiquephono.org/encounteri ... onographs/

George P.