Victor 0 Ads?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jmad7474
Victor I
Personal Text: "Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"

Victor 0 Ads?

Post by jmad7474 »

Hi everyone,

I came across an (unfortunately tattered and ripped) ad for a Victor II yesterday at a flea market hailing it as "The World's Greatest Instrument". Like most of you, I'm sure, I have seen quite a few advertisements over the years for the higher-end Victor external-horn models as well as basically all models of Victrolas.

However, I can't recall ever seeing an ad for the Victor 0 (the economy model with the yellow horn/mahogany cabinet made from 1908-1920). Did Victor ever advertise this player? If so, I can't imagine what they would have said about it since they basically treated it as a loss-leader, and most dealers would not have "pushed" it onto customers who could obviously afford a more expensive model. If anyone has such an ad, I would love to see it!

Thanks!

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Victor 0 Ads?

Post by OrthoFan »

jmad7474 wrote: Did Victor ever advertise this player?
Thanks!

I found this one:
Victor 0 Ad.jpg
From: https://books.google.com/books?id=hNpGA ... Ad&f=false

OrthoFan

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I have 2/3rd of a Model O (trying to save it.) After researching the prices for Model O parts, I noticed that there has been a slight increase in price since they hit the market-------I'm missing the horn and elbow, so far I have seen one elbow for sale over $220. With a horn probably another $400 :shock: :D :D

jmad7474
Victor I

Post by jmad7474 »

dutchman wrote:I have 2/3rd of a Model O (trying to save it.) After researching the prices for Model O parts, I noticed that there has been a slight increase in price since they hit the market-------I'm missing the horn and elbow, so far I have seen one elbow for sale over $220. With a horn probably another $400 :shock: :D :D
Yes, it is kind of strange (imo) that the lowest-priced rear-mount player Victor made - a cheapie in its day - is now one of their most collectible and valuable phonographs (in terms of dollars comparable to more deluxe models)! However, I will go out on a limb and say that the reason why the prices for 0 parts are increasing is not necessarily because they are scarcer than other models, but because most of them were given to children and/or improperly stored over the decades (unlike a fancier Victor IV, V or VI which would have been better cared for), so most people would likely have thrown away the entire phonograph at that point rather than selling it for parts. In addition, the 0 went through several design reconfigurations during its 12 year production run, and what will fit on an early 1909 model might not fit on a 1916 model. As far as I know, most other Victor models just went through cabinet reconfigurations with no other alterations (tonearm bracket changes, horn elbow design changes, etc.) done to them. It's too bad that no surviving Victor company records exist to back up my speculation, though!

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Nothing about the ad I posted? :cry:

Shawn
Victor IV
Personal Text: Its only Fun, when we're all having Fun!

Post by Shawn »

Victor 0 Front Cover.png
Subscribe to my music and phonograph videos at https://www.youtube.com/@Shawn_O_Phonograph

jmad7474
Victor I

Post by jmad7474 »

OrthoFan wrote:Nothing about the ad I posted? :cry:
Sorry, did not mean to be ungrateful! That's a great advertisement, and I think it's rather coy of Victor to describe the 0 as an instrument capable of "playing exactly the same records that a $250 Victor plays" since obviously a player with a tiny single-spring motor and 8" turntable would not have been its finer selling points! It is a very attractive-looking machine, though, thank you for finding it.
Last edited by jmad7474 on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmad7474
Victor I

Post by jmad7474 »

Shawn, would you happen to have a scan of the remaining pages in the instruction/set-up manual? Thanks for posting!

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

jmad7474 wrote:Sorry, did not mean to be ungrateful! That's a great advertisement, and I think it's rather coy of Victor to describe the 0 as an instrument capable of "playing exactly the same records that a $250 Victor plays" since obviously a player with a tiny single-spring motor and 8" turntable would not have been its finer selling points! It is a very attractive-looking machine, though, thank you for finding it.
Many thanks.

I noticed the optimistic description of the machine's capabilities too. Around that time, my great grandfather was working at one of the South St. Paul meat packing plants for about $20 per month, so even $17.50 would have been a stretch for him.

OF

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Shawn, Do you have reprints of these for sale? I'd love to get a copy for my Victor O.
Harvey Kravitz
Shawn wrote:
Victor 0 Front Cover.png