Which Would You Rather Own?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Which Would You Rather Own?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Put me on team “Common machine in good condition”. As much as I would like a rare machine. Finding parts may take months or even years!

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Common in rough condition... I like a project ;)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Common machines in pristine condition are uncommon.

I'll be happy with either.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I agree. Common can still not show up very often. In my case, I would like to own any one of several rare/uncommon machines. I do enjoy the visual and mechanical beauty of my machines, but their other, perhaps main, function is to enable my enjoyment of my record and cylinder collection, so they must perform as well as they were designed to so that I can enjoy the listening experience.

Jim

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

My reply was based on the assumption that you had X amount of money towards the purchase of a common or more unusual machine machine and both were priced at a reasonable market price. An unusual machine at a bargain price is not a fair comparison. That’s how I interpreted the author’s original question. Jerry B.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

If I had a choice between a mint, perfect VV IX, or a basket case tin foil machine, I'll buy the latter. The same with a mint, perfect VV-IV or a project Berliner, I'll take the latter. Restoring the rare and unusual machines, finding parts, sharing knowledge with other collectors is the fun of this hobby.
Harvey Kravitz

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Common is a strange term--when is an original phonograph from the 1900s common?

Sure, there might be a bunch of survivors...but compared to VCRs and CRT televisions it's a real treat.

I like all my machines--the common ones like my big old VV-XIV sound incredible, and my worn and weathered, missing-its-grill-and-some-trim Edison Amberola is the only one I have that hasn't broken down! All the rest have given mechanical trouble at some point.

But I do see the call of rarity. I love my Victor III (rare because of original box and very nice finish & felt) and my Model E Standard (rare because only made for a few months) but the reason they stay around is because the Vic runs fairly well and the Edison isn't done yet. I saw it, felt sorry for it, brought it home--and it's a PAIN to restore but is an absolute E ticket ride.

So basically I like ALL the phonographs!

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Common is a strange term--when is an original phonograph from the 1900s common?

I believe the idea is sort of like, mint XVI vs XX with missing veneer and warped doors...or a mint triumph vs an idelia that’s been in a fire. Common is a relative term, perhaps not common in relation to all other objects, but common as far as phonographs go, and how many were produced, etc.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

When it comes to machines I want in my collection condition is paramount. I like all machines both common and rare. A couple of my favorites are my Regina Hexaphone and the pair of Edison Model-80’s.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
6BA81968-E1D7-4F48-82F9-429BE989149C.png
4D31ED0B-12CA-4045-850D-CD4475D6BEFD.png

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

When you compare the choice between a truly rare machine and a common one you are missing the point of the question.

Jerry