Mystery Motor - Victor?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Mystery Motor - Victor?

Post by CDBPDX »

I just brought home a couple boxes of parts motors and found one I have not seen before. It appears to have Victor parts but is in a configuration more reminiscent of some generic motors.

Does anybody recognize this motor? It is apparently missing a spring barrel and drive gear.

Thanks! Cliff
Attachments
MysteryMotor_0000.JPG
MysteryMotor_0002.JPG
MysteryMotor_0003.JPG
MysteryMotor_0005.JPG
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Mystery Motor - Victor?

Post by gramophone-georg »

Looks like an HMV portable to me.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Looks like the one I have in my VV 1-1 (sometimes called the Victrolita). Spring barrel has the drive gear affixed to the bottom of it. I never liked that system of holding the crank in position, relies on a coiled spring wrapped around the winding shaft to keep in from unwinding backwards, propeller-like. In fact, that's what doomed my little 1-1 to the leaking barn where I found it. I'd assume it was used in portables due to economy of parts and smaller size.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I have seen this motor in the Orthophonice era portables, also.
Harvey Kravitz
Kirkwood wrote:Looks like the one I have in my VV 1-1 (sometimes called the Victrolita). Spring barrel has the drive gear affixed to the bottom of it. I never liked that system of holding the crank in position, relies on a coiled spring wrapped around the winding shaft to keep in from unwinding backwards, propeller-like. In fact, that's what doomed my little 1-1 to the leaking barn where I found it. I'd assume it was used in portables due to economy of parts and smaller size.