Columbia Q Questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Columbia Q Questions

Post by MikeB »

I recently picked up this Columbia Q. I bought it at a very reasonable price, thinking that it would be non-running parts machine. While I was tinkering with another machine, it started to run, and now I got it running nicely and it actually sounds halfway decent.

Stamped patent dates on the machine run from 1890 to 1901, however there are only dates stamped on this part, and no "Graphophone" markings. I was wondering if there are other known machines of this model which list only patent dates and no stamped brand/model identification, like this one. There is also no Columbia tag on the end of the mandrel, which I assume may be missing.

The machine has a wood base, but did not come with a lid. I understand that some were offered with a cabinet, and some without. The base on mine has no holes for attaching a lid, as others appear to have. I was wondering if this one likely came with a lid, or if it might have been offered with the wood base only, (or if the base might have been added later).

I'll add that I cannot find any serial number on the machine. The decals are worn off, however there is some evidence that they were there at some point.

Finally, I was wondering about the purpose of the screw on the edge of the spring barrel. I thought that perhaps it might be a grease hole for shooting grease into the barrel, but I am not sure.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Columbia Q 3.jpg
Columbia Q 43.jpg
Columbia Q 2.jpg
Columbia Q 1.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Columbia Q Questions

Post by fran604g »

The serial number is stamped on the top edge of the winding key side motor frame.

There have been several posts on the Q, some have delved into their production. Here's a link to one such post: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ne+model+Q

If the base was original to the unit, it would've been marketed as a "QA". If it was indeed an original "QA", it would've been supplied with a 14" aluminum horn.

Here's a couple of images of my "QA" sn.821,031, including the paper "sticker" inside the lid, declaring the model and price.

Of course, an owner could've "upgraded" his base model Q with accessories to bring it up to QA standard, too.

Best,
Fran
DSC01189.JPG
DSC01206.JPG
Last edited by fran604g on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

The purpose of the barrel screw is to provide a stud to hook the mainspring on. The mainspring has a hole on the outside end. The hole hooks onto the screw.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I typed my reply faster than my brain processed your post, hence my considerable edits, sorry about that. :oops:

The base on your Q looks homemade to me.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Your Type Q is from the second series, which appeared in 1904. As Fran noted, the serial number is stamped on the edge of the motor plate nearest the winding key. The only place your machine was marked "QA" was on a paper label inside the lid - as shown in Fran's post.

Here's an image from the Antique Phonograph Society's web site (https://www.antiquephono.org/) which shows both the 1st and 2nd model Qs side-by-side:
Qs.jpg
Qs are nice little machines. Enjoy yours!

George P.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Thanks, everyone.

I found the serial number, and it is interesting. It looks like it is serial number 1,065,227. However, Hazelcorn list the serial number range of the second style Q as 800,000 to 1,065,180. That means that this machine is slightly beyond that serial number range.
Attachments
Columbia Q 7.jpg