Amberola Motor Noise

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Amberola Motor Noise

Post by Victrolacollector »

Does anyone know if changing the mandrel gear will cut down on motor noise on the Amberola 30 and 50.

Mark is offering new original stock mandrel gears. I did buy two of them.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2344800691

MattyLada
Victor Jr

Re: Amberola Motor Noise

Post by MattyLada »

Hi...i am a new user here. I have had issues with motor noise with the Strathclyde 305m but a thorough cleaning of the motor pulley enabled the belt to sit properly and the noise is gone. There's the tiniest bit of motor noise when I'm standing no more than a foot away and the amp's off. I also recently acquired a Sansui 222 and it makes a grinding sound as it starts up. While running it is a little noisier in operation than the Strathclyde but not by much.

pcb assembly supplier
Last edited by MattyLada on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

MattyLada wrote:Hi...i am a new user here. I have had issues with motor noise with the Strathclyde 305m but a thorough cleaning of the motor pulley enabled the belt to sit properly and the noise is gone. There's the tiniest bit of motor noise when I'm standing no more than a foot away and the amp's off. I also recently acquired a Sansui 222 and it makes a grinding sound as it starts up. While running it is a little noisier in operation than the Strathclyde but not by much.

I'm afraid that you may be posting at cross purposes, O. M.

The Strathclyde is a bit modern for us, as this forum is primarily for the study of pre-1930 mechanical talking machines such as the Amberola 50 pictured below.

https://youtu.be/UYkT5sIriss

You are referring to a turntable which post dates the subject machines of this forum by sixty or seventy years.

Oh, and yes, most noise problems in a post-fire Amberola motor may be cYes by replacing the governor drive gear - IF - The mandrel springs are intact.

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

SOMETIMES that gear will in fact reduce the noise. The issue is that at some time in the past, people removed the mandrel from these while there was still spring tension, and the drive gear would grind a few edges of the mandrel gear teeth flat...making them noisey.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

MicaMonster wrote:SOMETIMES that gear will in fact reduce the noise. The issue is that at some time in the past, people removed the mandrel from these while there was still spring tension, and the drive gear would grind a few edges of the mandrel gear teeth flat...making them noisey.
As a rule you are absolutely correct. A standardized Amberola mechanism which is in good nick is pretty darned quiet. When one of these machines is noisy our old friend No 4020, the mandrel drive gear, is usually to be blamed. Over the years I have seen a few of these whigh were actually worn out, with more than half of the meat on the governor drive teeth worn away. Damage from incompetent repair is, as you note, quite common. More common than heavy wear, actually.