Phonographs/Records outside in heat for Special Event?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Phonographs/Records outside in heat for Special Event?

Post by cjstoessner »

I have been approached to display a few machines and records at a "living history event" this upcoming Saturday in Virginia. Here is my concern... it is going to be very hot... and very humid... We're talking heat index of over 100 most likely. I am taking a few common machines, a couple Columbia Grafonolas and an Edison Home phonograph. I was also thinking of having some 78's and a few cylinder records out on display. I figured the children would get a kick out seeing an old cylinder record...

So.. what do you guys (and gals) think of the heat and humidity? Should I be concerned or go for it? It will be all day, 10 to 5 or so... I think it will be kind of fun getting some people exposed to the hobby that normally don't get to see the things... sure beats sitting in storage for a day.
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Phonographs/Records outside in heat for Special Event?

Post by Wolfe »

Over 100 F, I don't think I'd worry about shellac 78's as long as they're not leaning or stacked on top of each other. The cylinders that are wax, especially like black wax Amberols, I'd fret more about.
Last edited by Wolfe on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I wouldn't put any records in direct sunlight. Shade would be better for the phonographs too, but probably not as critical.

George Paul

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Post by cjstoessner »

Good points... thanks for the input! I am setting up a small tent, so there will be no direct sunlight of any kind... for the machines (or me 8-)
Christopher J. Stoessner
Enthusiast, Collector, Historian
Author of Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and the Granby Phonograph

Founder
James-Gail Co.
www.james-gail.com

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Post by Springmotor70 »

I take machines and records outside all the time (like tomorrow for the 4th). I also live in an historic 19th century house with only a window AC unit in the bedroom. ;)

I agree with the other comments - just like yourself - keep the machines and records in the shade and keep records flat. If you do have a cylinder machine outside do not leave a cylinder on the mandrel (especially wax!) and then take it back into AC. The cylinder can get stuck or worse yet break.

Enjoy the event and hope you inspire some young future collectors!
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010