Did Victrola Florenza Have A Metal Needle Cup/Holder?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jimw156
Victor Jr

Did Victrola Florenza Have A Metal Needle Cup/Holder?

Post by jimw156 »

Can anyone help me confirm if the Victrola Florenza came with meal needle cup inserts/holders?

Recently inherited an original Victrola Florenza, but I'm having trouble figuring out that's missing. The current needle holder looks exactly like this (not my pic, though):
Needle-Holder.jpg
Needle-Holder.jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
In one of the few pictures I've managed to find online of the Victrola Florenza, there appears to be a metal cup holder (or lid) in the center, larger holder (again, not my pic):
Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 10.36.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 10.36.50 AM.png (471.81 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Can anyone confirm for me if the metal cup holder/lid belongs on the Victrola Florenza or not? Trying to get my new beauty back as close to original as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Re: Did Victrola Florenza Have A Metal Needle Cup/Holder?

Post by Springmotor70 »

Your wood needle block would have a center needle cup for worn needles. It would have a top with a round hole to discard needles and knurled edge. This one would have a gold plated top. These are relatively easy to come by, they were used for years on Victor's acoustic machines as well.
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

Springmotor70 wrote: It would have a top with a round hole to discard needles and knurled edge. This one would have a gold plated top.
Thank you, Springmotor70!

So it sounds like I'd be looking for something like this, then?
s-l1600-1.jpg

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Post by Springmotor70 »

Yes, that is correct, except your model the Florenza or 9-1 would have a gold plated cover to match the gold plated hardware on the interior of the machine. These accept the worn needles whereas steel needles are intended to be changed with each record. The wood cups would hold the fresh needles of your choice. Victor would have recommended their needles of course which were offered in "full tone" and "half tone"
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

Springmotor70 wrote:Yes, that is correct, except your model the Florenza or 9-1 would have a gold plated cover to match the gold plated hardware on the interior of the machine."
Thank you! Off to try and find one now!

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

jimw156 wrote:
Springmotor70 wrote:Yes, that is correct, except your model the Florenza or 9-1 would have a gold plated cover to match the gold plated hardware on the interior of the machine."
Thank you! Off to try and find one now!
Ron Sitko offers excellent reproductions of these used needle cups for but $10.00.

My 9-15 had the gold plated tone arm with the overhang support, but the Florenza which I owned back in my college days had gun metal fittings for the radio controls and in the record compartment. It used the ball bearing tone arm sans overhang support. That machine was fitted with a gunmetal finished brass reproducer of the sort that one might expect to find in an Alhambra II. Serial No. Was under 600, as I recall.