The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you do when ??,or another common machine cheap
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:15 pm 
Victor II
 ok tomorrow I am buying a Victor VI table model machine from a person who brought it into a local antique store (sf bay area)
and offered the machine AND a very nice oak table for $50 ,it plays but is un restored . I really do not need it but want it to go at some point to a good home rather than a thrift store to br destroyed by mind less rug rats !! :o my question is the world is full of victor XI machines and the like .....do all collectors pass them over because the have one two three in the garage ?? ....as Dr Smith would say “oh the pain”......( see now i am admitting my age AND that i have. watched Lost in Space !!! )

Last edited by Vinrage_mania on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: What do you do when ??,or another common machine cheap
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:31 pm 
Victor VI
Needle Tins are Addictive
At some point, watching episodes of "Hoarding Buried Alive", will provide a necessary balance...
"It was a bargain I couldn't pass up.", "That's a project I have plans for someday...", "I can't bear to part with that, it causes too much emotional distress.", "Someday, I would like to be able to sit down or find my bed." etc., etc., etc... :roll: :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:37 pm 
Victor II
what gets me is I do not bat an eye on passing up duplicate records,(if they are not rare) machines no Radios yes no logic there at all

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:57 pm 
Victor III
Vinrage_mania wrote:
what gets me is I do not bat an eye on passing up duplicate records,(if they are not rare) machines no Radios yes no logic there at all

Since when is collecting about logic lol
A few months ago I found a first issue pressing of what is probably the rarest commercially-issued Victor record of soprano Amelita Galli-Curci. Her records were hugely popular and are lovely and oh so easy to find--mostly not worth more than $5 in near-mint condition. But I found a top-condition copy of her record of "Little Dorry" in a local shop for $3 and grabbed it even though I already own a copy. Would anyone want to buy it?
I don't know, but because it's supposedly her rarest record, I couldn't just leave it there lol

It's hard to fight emotion with logic :)

Steven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:27 am 
Victor IV
Viva-voce wrote:
Vinrage_mania wrote:

Since when is collecting about logic lol
A few months ago I found a first issue pressing of what is probably the rarest commercially-issued Victor record of soprano Amelita Galli-Curci. Her records were hugely popular and are lovely and oh so easy to find--mostly not worth more than $5 in near-mint condition. But I found a top-condition copy of her record of "Little Dorry" in a local shop for $3 and grabbed it even though I already own a copy. Would anyone want to buy it?
I don't know, but because it's supposedly her rarest record, I couldn't just leave it there lol

It's hard to fight emotion with logic :)

Steven

That's what spouses and significant others are for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:59 am 
Victor III
That's what spouses and significant others are for.[/quote]

LOL

Steven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:50 am 
Victor Monarch Special
Who is John Galt?
A Victor VI for $50, regardless of condition, is a good deal anytime. A Victrola VI for $50 might not be such a bargain.

I'm not familiar with a Victor XI... ;)

George P.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:33 am 
Victor Monarch Special
Stop for a visit when in Oregon.
There are many aspects of our hobby that I enjoy. I enjoy sharing and selling phonographs at various venues such as APS, Union, bike swaps, and fairs. So I purchase some things strictly for resale. I also enjoy tinkering and restoring talking machines so it’s a win win for me. Jerry B.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:06 am 
Victor II
phonogfp wrote:
A Victor VI for $50, regardless of condition, is a good deal anytime. A Victrola VI for $50 might not be such a bargain.

I'm not familiar with a Victor XI... ;)

George P.

so if i set the Victrola VI .....next to a Victor the sixth ...will some “magical”change take place lol

but i see the point Jerry is making too ,I do have one already ...and a IV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:13 pm 
Victor O
I adopt my antique dealer mentality when it comes to this kind of thing. I'd buy the Victrola and the table, then try to sell both. Hopefully I'd come out ahead if it is a decent table. Then after they don't sell, I would put them in my hoarding pile. At that point, I would be able to tell myself that I'm not a hoarder, because at least I tried to sell them before they ended up crushing me in my sleep.