Period photo of Columbia BS

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Period photo of Columbia BS

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I have no idea where I found this photo. I came across it tonight in one of my files. I'm guessing maybe it was an original offered on eBay and I downloaded the scan to archive it.

Anyway, whatever the source I felt it was something worth sharing because it's such an amazing photo. It's so rare to see contemporary photos of coin-ops, especially in such a non-typical setting. What is the story here??? Wouldn't it be fun to know.
Attachments
col-bs-orig.jpg

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: Period photo of Columbia BS

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Here's another photo in my file for which I no longer remember the source. This is a much more typical image in that it shows a coin-op (Columbia AS) in a normal setting -- on a bar, cadging nickels from drinkers.
Attachments
ColAS-old-bar.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

Both photos are wonderful, René. Thanks.

--Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Great photos, Rene! In the barroom image, is that a floor-mounted fan attached to the bar? Never seen anything like that.

The one with the ladies seems to confirm that the Columbia signboards had glass in them.

George P.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

In looking at the BS picture again it struck me that it was distorted -- the machine, as well as the women's faces, look disproportionately wide. I tweaked that in Photoshop to look more natural, and also reduced the over-saturated sepia color. Here is a full-size, uncropped image that looks to me to be much more balanced.
Attachments
col-bs-orig-photo_edited-2.png

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Post by Springmotor70 »

phonogfp wrote:Great photos, Rene! In the barroom image, is that a floor-mounted fan attached to the bar? Never seen anything like that.

The one with the ladies seems to confirm that the Columbia signboards had glass in them.

George P.

Great spotting the reflection on the sign board! ... And the fan! - you can see in the mirror's reflection that there is at least a second fan down the bar a bit out of frame to the right. Those appear to be turn of the century belt driven units, I have seen them mounted from the floor in sitting areas but those had cast iron supports. These seem to be mounted to the bar for support. I assume that they are belt driven below the floor or from under the bar on pulleys. You can also see the gasoliers have incandescent burners as well as the 2 statues framed by the back mirrors are holding incandescent gas lamps as well. A very up to date bar with all the latest machinery!
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010