How much should one pay?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

How much should one pay?

Post by RolandVV-360 »

I've been looking for a cylinder player for a good while, and I'm interested in procuring a cheap one. What do you guys suggest I look into, and how much should I expect to pay for it? I usually don't care much about condition, as long as it functions properly. I don't need a horn either, as I already have one. I hope to hear from y'all soon!
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Victor VI

Re: How much should one pay?

Post by 52089 »

If cheap is your goal, an Amberola 30 is probably a good bet. They are not hard to find complete and working well in the $300 range. An Amberola 50 won't cost you much more and will give you a larger horn and a second spring. Of course you'll be limited to 4-minute celluloid cylinders.

A basic, common Model A or B Standard or Home, with original 2-minute-only gearing and a Model C reproducer is probably $350-ish. You'll have to add more for 2/4 gearing and a Model H reproducer if desired.

On the Columbia side, the Q and Eagle are probably the most common machines and shouldn't cpst you more than $350 or so.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

As suggested in the above post, a Standard A or B is a good suggestion. The price range stated is accurate too.
If you want to consider an Amberola, you can probably pay less. Amberolas are good working machines. One was posted for sale recently on Yankee Trader.
Don

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I am getting ready for the APS phono sale on August 18 &19 in Buena Park, Ca. I have three entry level cylinder machines. They are an Amberola 50 ($250), Edison Fireside A, ($375), and a Edison Home 2&4 ($375). Those are my best prices. All my machines are ready to enjoy and need nothing. I hope this helps you. Jerry Blais

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Jerry B. wrote:I am getting ready for the APS phono sale on August 18 &19 in Buena Park, Ca. I have three entry level cylinder machines. They are an Amberola 50 ($250), Edison Fireside A, ($375), and a Edison Home 2&4 ($375). Those are my best prices. All my machines are ready to enjoy and need nothing. I hope this helps you. Jerry Blais
What reproducer does the Fireside use? And what reproducer is your 2/4 Minute home fitted with?
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The Fireside was originally sold with the K reproducer but mine comes with an H as does the Home. Jerry