Edison model C help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Edison model C help

Post by kirtley2012 »

I've got an early model C winged reproducer(missing the winged bit), it needs a bit of work including a rebuild so I'll have to find some gaskets but the weight has obviously come loose from the body, how does the hinge work on these early ones, if It's a pressure fit its fine, I managed to push it together for a test, but the newer one I used to have was threaded into the body, not sure if it's broken or not, also, as you can see, the pin is sticking proud of the top of the reproducer
DSC01736.JPG
DSC01737.JPG
DSC01738.JPG

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: Edison model C help

Post by GregVTLA »

I rebuilt an early model B, so I believe I can at least try and help you out. It appears that there is a threaded pin on the body of the reproducer, and a hole in the weight hinge block. On mine it was reversed, but the same principle applies. Before mine sheared off and I had to resort to superglue, it simply screwed together at the hinge block. If yours is stripped, you may need to go down the same road as I did, or I've heard others had success with re-tapping the hole with a new pin. I can't imagine it was a pressure fit, the weight would pull down too much on the link bar causing either the link bar to break or diaphragm to be injured.
Attachments
DSC01736.JPG

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

That's what I considered, however there are no threads on that pin or in that hole, it could be that these sections were attached to eachother and the rest of the pin threaded, though I don't want to force it out for fear of shearing it off

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I understand not wanting to shear it off. It isn't all that fun to do that! Perhaps when you are finished rebuilding the reproducer you can put a tiny drop of superglue in that hole just so it doesn't come out.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Ron Sitko here in the States has hinge blocks if you decide to go that route and replace the hinge block. The hinge block pin that's standing in the body of your reproducer should be threaded so you should be able to back it out counterclockwise if you decide to try removing it.

Keep in mind that the threaded hinge block pin on many Edison C, H and K reproducers is VERY nearly breaking through the edge of the reproducer so one must be very careful not to break through that threaded hole - otherwise your reproducer body is pretty much junk. It's possible that someone in the past may have glued that hinge block pin in place. In that instance, you may as well try working with what you have.

Most Edison reproducers are a cinch to rebuild and restore excellent sound so get yourself some new gaskets, decide what you want to do on the hinge block and enjoy that reproducer. Good luck.

Doug

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Cheers Doug

That pin is frozen solid, then again so is the diaphragm retainer, I'm going to try a couple things to see if I can make it budge, though i may have to find another body and bock then transfer the rest of the parts to it

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

From what I can tell, the body has swelled, causing the retaining ring and that pin to become stuck, I'm going to look out for a replacement body, it's a shame as this is the original winged reproducer, for now I've superglued it as a temporary solution until I can find a new body

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

The following suggestion might be 'pie in the sky' now since it sounds like you've already reassembled the reproducer but for what it's worth you should be able to get that threaded retainer ring off.

Some retainer rings are stuck good and tight but I've always had good luck using a Quick Release Clamp that has the rubber grips on it (see pic below). Clamp the reproducer body good and snug in the Quick Release Clamp making certain it cannot move, then place the clamp between your knees good and snug in a position that's good for you with a little padding and get yourself something that will fit snugly into one of the slots in the retainer ring. Gently tap counterclockwise on that slot with the tool you've selected making absolutely sure that you don't slip off that retainer ring and damage the diaphragm. You should see some movement in that ring. If you do then you're on your way! I've removed some retainer rings that were so stinkin' rusty that I thought they would never budge but they did...with care. You have nothing to lose if you're considering relegating the reproducer body to the parts bin. ;) Give the Quick Release Clamp trick a try. It's worked for me on hundreds of my Edison reproducers. Good luck!

Doug
Attachments
quick release clamp.jpg
quick release clamp.jpg (13.23 KiB) Viewed 1113 times

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Cheers Doug

I'll sure do that, but after I've gotten some new parts to create a working reproducer, this is my only reproducer and can't afford to buy another really, so I'll need some new parts before tearing this one fully apart.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Good news is I managed to get the pin out, the threads in the reproducer body are still fine but the pin is totally stripped, I'm thinking about simply making a new brass pin to avoid postage times from usa, does ron sitko have an email address, alternatively, does anyone know the thread pattern for the pin?