Columbia grafonola vs Victor VV-VI, which is better?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Columbia grafonola vs Victor VV-VI, which is better?

Post by Mormon S »

There's both a Columbia Grafonola and a Victor VV-VI somewhat close to me on Facebook marketplace. They're around the same price ($85). I know the IV is more common, but which one is more worth the price? Does one of them sound better than the other? The grafonola comes with EDD records, but I don't think it has a dual reproducer, but correct me if I'm wrong. On edging about the Columbia, is that I think you have to have it close to the edge of a table to crank it, as the crank reaches lower than the surface, which could restrict where o can put it. Split on the two.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180714-112504.png
Screenshot_20180714-112513.png

Victor VI

Re: Columbia grafonola vs Victor VV-VI, which is better?

Post by 52089 »

I would personally vote for the Victor. Here are my reasons:

1) The pot metal tonearm joints in the Columbia can be a bear to work on. If they're not swollen and restricting now, they probably will be.

2) The Victor reproducer is much easier to remove, rebuild, and reinstall than the Columbia, again at least partially because of pot metal issues.

3) The Columbia tonearm is generally thought to be a bit more wearing on records than the Victor.

To me the only advantage of the Columbia is the lid. If you want a small Victor with a lid, the VIII is not hard to find.

And to your other point, no, the Columbia can't play Diamond Discs as the head does not swivel.

Let us know what you decide!

78recordpicker
Victor I

Post by 78recordpicker »

At that price, why not buy both? Assuming there isn't something seriously wrong with either. Nice wood on the Columbia, and the lid models of any brand, unless filled with a million rings from drink glasses, look cool.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

My personal choice is the Victor. The parts are not pot metal, motors don’t use fiber gears, less weight on records. If you want a tabletop with a lid get a Victor Victrola VV-VIII or Victor Victrola VV-IX. I think they are less headaches in the end.

I think Columbia had some nice looking machines, but when you get into pot metal issues and a fiber gear in the motor, these can be a headache.

If you want to play Edison there is nothing like playing them on genuine Edison equipment, unless you use a modern set-up.
That Edison does not belong on that Columbia, a steel needle will ruin the record. Looks like a copy of Oh Susanna.
Last edited by Victrolacollector on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

If it were my choice, I would choose the Victrola.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I'd also take the Victor. The VV-VI delivers excellent performance at a modest price. Jerry B.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

If anyone's wondering, I did get the Victor. It was in good shape, however the crank was bent, and the wooden crank Handel was broken. Also, the motor is quite weak, and needs a push to start up. I've cleaned the entire motor, other than the inside of the spring barrel. I'm quite worried of taking it apart, because I've never done a 2 spring motor before. Worried about putting it back together. Any suggestion? Is it any harder to do than a single spring motor?