Victrola 7-25 radio combo

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Victrola 7-25 radio combo

Post by GregVTLA »

Picked up this Victrola 7-25 after finding it posted on the forum. It was in an estate auction just miles from my house. I do have one of these but this one has the radio and everything. It looks really nice but I’m definitely not going to plug in that radio just yet :?
Attachments
6F4B8095-7447-426B-B4B1-6F81DCD85508.jpeg
7F149CBB-0F5B-4B6F-BA4D-97145B472714.jpeg
070F2AF7-7C18-436D-A885-79373829FEEB.jpeg

Kirkwood
Victor II

Re: Victrola 7-25 radio combo

Post by Kirkwood »

Congrats! So very glad this found a good home.

My "distressed" VE-7-25 had instructions on the back panel for the battery connections for the radio, although at some point they swapped out the Radiola 17 for a Radiola 60 chassis in mine, with a power pack that eliminated the need for batteries. Does yours still require batteries for the Radiola? I guess now you'd use one of those new battery eliminator set ups.

I always have wondered: Victor installed the circular louvers in the back to allow heat to escape for the turntable motor? the Radiola chassis? Why didn't they feel a need to put those in that panel that sits right above the radio tubes? Is there an asbestos sheet on the underside of that panel? Just wondered.....

Sure looks like a nice set up, keep us informed on your progress with it!

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

My radio is an AC model, and it comes with an interesting setup that splits the main power into what looks like a wall outlet. From what I can tell, there is no asbestos but lots of dust! The addition of ventilation near the tubes would harm the look of the instrument, and that was very important if you chose to buy this set instead of the standalone radio which would’ve been much much cheaper:

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

the 7-25 has a radiola17 ,these sets a actually quite reliable and because the filter caps are sealed in tar about 50-60 % of the time they will play HOWEVER a recap is wise here are pictures of the under side of a rebuilt supply like your set has
Attachments
896F7C64-63EC-45A6-BC03-3713862FD781.jpeg
Last edited by Vinrage_mania on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Mine has a power supply just like that. I’m tempted to try it but I’m going to set up the dim bulb test tomorrow to try and test for major faults. All tubes are there and wires look pretty good, and some are surprisingly replaced.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

first pull the 80 Rectifier .....from the PS and see if the tubes light AND if the transfomer gets warm or smells replace the 80 THEN do the dim bulb test (this tests just the filiment winding and primary of the transfomer without damageto the RF section

make sure the line voltage switch is set on the higest voltage

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Kirkwood wrote:Congrats! So very glad this found a good home.

My "distressed" VE-7-25 had instructions on the back panel for the battery connections for the radio, although at some point they swapped out the Radiola 17 for a Radiola 60 chassis in mine, with a power pack that eliminated the need for batteries. Does yours still require batteries for the Radiola? I guess now you'd use one of those new battery eliminator set ups.

I always have wondered: Victor installed the circular louvers in the back to allow heat to escape for the turntable motor? the Radiola chassis? Why didn't they feel a need to put those in that panel that sits right above the radio tubes? Is there an asbestos sheet on the underside of that panel? Just wondered.....

Sure looks like a nice set up, keep us informed on your progress with it!
All of the 7-25 sets were fitted with the Light Socket powered Radiola 17 chassis. The 7-10 came with the battery powered Radiola 16.

I've noticed more than a few VE electric motor machines which were fitted with spring motors early in their history, presumably for resale in rural areas where the High Line had not yet come. I also once found a 7-11 which had a battery Radiola 16 substituted for the Light Socket Radola 18.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Interesting I have seen a few 7-11s never a 7-10 in California

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Nice looking set! I can see that the knobs are in the same style as the Victrola 8-9 phonograph, but without the gold and red paint.

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

marcapra wrote:Nice looking set! I can see that the knobs are in the same style as the Victrola 8-9 phonograph, but without the gold and red paint.
Yup! I'm glad they're both there! They'd be a bear to find!