HELP identifying finish on a Victor Victrola.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dennislpr
Victor O

HELP identifying finish on a Victor Victrola.

Post by dennislpr »

Hello everyone, yesterday I drove an hour and a half to get this Victrola. I know is a quite common machine (XIV). But what made me purchase it was the dark finish, the story behind it is that this old lady bought it at an estate sale back in the early 70s and its been with her ever since, it wasn't working, but I already took care of that. The pin that goes between the winding Shaft and pinion Gear was broken and also one of the governor weights was broken as well. Thankfully I had those parts that I took from another Victor motor that I have in stock, I replaced all three weights and I had to make the pin. The machine is now working great, the reproducer doesn't sound that bad, but I'm going to rebuild it anyways since the rear flange is kind of hard and the gasket has a couple of cracks too. If anyone here can identify this finish, let me know? I don't know if is antique oak, fumed oak, weathered oak or gunmetal oak. Thank you.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Victor VI

Re: HELP identifying finish on a Victor Victrola.

Post by 52089 »

My initial thought is weathered oak, but there are other possibilities. Here's a link to an image of one of Victor's finish sample kits:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... thered+oak

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: HELP identifying finish on a Victor Victrola.

Post by HisMastersVoice »

My vote is on “Dirty Oak” :lol:

I think it's Gunmetal Oak, but it could also be Fumed Oak as that finish varies widely in color.