The two types of Victor VV-50 portables

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

The two types of Victor VV-50 portables

Post by 52089 »

Just made a short video showing the early and late types of Victor VV-50 portables. I don't recall having seen these side-by-side before. Comments welcome. Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCk-m86JmmQ[/youtube]

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: The two types of Victor VV-50 portables

Post by CarlosV »

Well done! nothing like a show-and-tell. I have the older model, but apart from the obvious front winding hole, I had not noticed the other differences.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Yes, nicely done!
Adam

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

An informative overview - thanks! I've never owned a VV-50, and other than the crank escutcheon location, didn't know of the other changes between the earlier and later versions. :)

George P.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Nice video and nice machines. However, there are actually 3 styles of this machine out there: 2 different front crank models and the side crank model. The machines in your video are actually types two and three. A type 1 VV-50 has 2 main differences from the types 2 and 3. The first is rather subtle and can fool you if you don't know what to look for. It is the position of the crank escutcheon; on the type 1, it is further away from the case handle. The 2 early VV-50s used a VV-IV motor and during the early run of the VV-50, the crank socket on the motor was moved about an inch which necessitated moving the crank hole. Second, the method of attaching the motorboard and carrying handle were changed, so the 2 cases are not interchangeable. Third, the first type had a longer horn casting which was curved up to the level of the motorboard. The second type eliminated the upward curve in the horn mouth and Victor put the curved block of wood in its place.
I learned these differences the hard way because I bought a rather ratty looking 50 and later found an empty case at an auction. O.K. - just go home and swap parts, right? Wrong! That's when I discovered the type ½ differences. The Victor Data Book will clarify the differences but you have to read carefully. I will try to post a picture of the two early machines side by side so everyone can see the difference.

Jim

Tpapp54321
Victor II

Post by Tpapp54321 »

Thank you for posting that, very neat and informative. But now I find myself wanting a VV-50 :?
-Tom

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Great thread. Thanks for the video. Lots of fun!

Dan

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Here is a picture of the 2 types of front crank VV-50. The one on the left is the earliest type. Note the difference of position of the crank escutcheon on this one versus the later style on the right. There is about 1 inch of difference between the two positions.

Jim
Attachments
VV-50.jpg

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Great thread and very astute. I have what appears to be the earliest type of VV-50. Question: How do we know that? Couldn't it be the other way around, and the one with the escutcheon closest to the center came first?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

jboger wrote:Great thread and very astute. I have what appears to be the earliest type of VV-50. Question: How do we know that? Couldn't it be the other way around, and the one with the escutcheon closest to the center came first?
I would think by the serial number.... ;).The Victor Data book is invaluable.