New Acquisition - Pathé Actuelle Model H

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
wbaradio
Victor Jr

New Acquisition - Pathé Actuelle Model H

Post by wbaradio »

I recently saw an estate auction listing for a Victrola X. I took a look through the auction photo listing, saw the standard Victrola X console, looked a little further down the list and saw a strange phonograph console with paper cone that was pictured but not listed in the auction. Being primarily a radio collector, I was intrigued with a phonograph with a 1920's style radio paper cone speaker. It didn't take long for me to find that it was a Pathé Actuelle. Since the auction was a few hours away from me, I took the chance and did a phone bid and won it for $200. Picked it up today and it appears complete. Even had a couple of original sapphire needles in the cup. Only thing missing that I noticed is an upper door knob. Looks like these are "push fit." If any one out there can recommend a place to find replacement, please let me know. There is a little bit of veneer that is missing from bottom of the right side that should be an easy fix.
I've read most of the posts on the forum regarding this Pathé which have been very informative!

Regards,
Britt
Attachments
1IMG_1754.JPG
1IMG_1754.JPG (96.73 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
2IMG_1755.JPG
2IMG_1755.JPG (77.64 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
2IMG_1756.JPG
2IMG_1756.JPG (88.64 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
3IMG_1757.JPG
3IMG_1757.JPG (105.15 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

wjw
Victor II

Re: New Acquisition - Pathé Actuelle Model H

Post by wjw »

I think you got it for a good price! Such interesting machines.
-bill

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

looks like it is in excellent shape and will clean up nicely.. Good find. Tom

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Nice find. These are a bit uncommon but sound pretty good. Contact George Vollema or Ron Haring for the door knob. Search for their contact information in the Links section.
Ken

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

It looks like you hit a home run. What a great find at a low price. Take care of that beautiful cabinet and don't work too hard to shine up the finish. Congratulations.! :D
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

Nice find! I found mine in similar circumstances in 2013. Yours has the benefit of the original finish (mine had been refinished by the seller decades ago) and the bonus of the two sapphire needles, which are worth about two-thirds of the price you paid. And your cone seems to be intact! They seem to come up torn at least half the time. Mine did; I had a new cone made by Buford Chidester in Pennsylvania (iirc).

You'll probably find that the knobs do tend to come loose. When you find your replacement it would probably be worth testing all the others and if they're loose, a dab of wood glue will keep them all solid.

I hope you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it!
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtzr7lqhoCM

"...with care, I will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are..."

Try it yourself!

wbaradio
Victor Jr

Post by wbaradio »

Thanks much for the replies and tips. I forgot to mention that the paper cone is torn, but did contact Buford Chidester for replacement before entering the bid at auction. I've bought many reproduction paper cones from Buford for my mid-1920's ornate cone radio speakers. Buford is a true artist who painstakingly reproduces cones for each make/model cone speaker. He's a regular at the Kutztown, PA Radio Meet each September and May. Below is link to video of the last May 2018 Kutztown meet. Yes, quite a few Victrola/Edison phonographs show up here to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6oiStT ... e=youtu.be

Regards,
Britt