Mystery question? What is this????

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Mystery question? What is this????

Post by marcapra »

I own a hand crank 1909 Columbia Regent mahogany "desk model" phonograph. I got this pic from the Internet of an oak 1909 Columbia Regent with a rare electric turntable. I didn't know Columbia had electric turntable motors as early as 1909. I also took some pics of my Regent. Mine even has a couple extra knobs. I was never able to figure out what the that knob with a little wooden peg was for in the motor board. I also own a Baby Regent which does not have this knob, but it is the later 1913 version with louvers over the horn instead of doors. Does anyone have a guess what these are for? They are not spare door knobs and I included a door knob to show that they are bigger. Maybe there is an easy explanation for these so what do you think?
Attachments
colreg.jpg
P1010024.JPG
P1010023.JPG
P1010022.JPG
P1010021.JPG
P1010020.JPG

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: Mystery question? What is this????

Post by ChuckA »

They are stops so you can't pull the drawer all the way out with the pegs in the holes in the rear side walls.

Chuck

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Wow! You are right! I just put two of the knobs in those holes at the back and it works! But my knob with the darkened peg is a little thicker and didn't fit. Do these pegs have anything to do with that hole in the motor board? And what does that hole do?

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Nothing I know of, never seen that hole in other desks I've had.

Chuck

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

Chuck, Were your Regents the later style with louvers covering the horn, or did you also have an early model with the doors over the horn?